Air pressure stays the same or increase?

In summary: When you just think about it simply ... you are squeezing the air into a smaller and smaller volume inside thecontainer. It can do nothing but increase in pressurecheersDaveWhen you just think about it simply, you are squeezing the air into a smaller and smaller volume inside the container. It can do nothing but increase in pressure.
Althepump
the barrel has a lid at the top...sealed. I make a hole at the bottom to attach water hose to it. Then I turn on the water hose. The water volume in the barrel increases, no doubt about that. When It takes 7/8 of the barrel. Will the air in the top 1/8 of the barrel be compressed? I ask because the air has no way out. It has to be somewhere in the barrel.

Needless to say that the barrel is empty but air to begin with.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, of course it will. And its pressure will be much above the atmospheric. But that's in theory, because tap water is rarely available at pressures that high...

NTW said:
Yes, of course it will. And its pressure will be much above the atmospheric. But that's in theory, because tap water is rarely available at pressures that high...

I think I understand. Since you say tap water is rarely available at high pressure, therefore water level in the barrel will go as far as the air pressure in the top of the barrel is equal to the tap water pressure. Then it stops. Maybe the barrel can only go as far as half.

Hi
welcome to PF :)

what do you think would happen ?

if you think it would stay the same ... give a reason for that thought
likewise, if you think it would increase ... give a reason
and we will see how you do

cheers
Dave

davenn said:
Hi
welcome to PF :)

what do you think would happen ?

if you think it would stay the same ... give a reason for that thought
likewise, if you think it would increase ... give a reason
and we will see how you do

cheers
Dave

I was not sure... I thought air molecules may seep into water as water level increases like air bubbles in water. In other words, dissolve in water. If it does happen, then air pressure will be about the same. But I got reply earlier that pressure does increase in theory. It confirms my hunch.

Last edited:
Althepump said:
I was not sure... I thought air molecules may seep into water as water level increases like air bubbles in water. In other words, dissolve in water. If it does happen, then air pressure will be about the same. But I got reply earlier that pressure does increase in theory. It confirms my hunch.
Air is not very soluble in water. Only a tiny fraction would dissolve.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Air is not very soluble in water. Only a tiny fraction would dissolve.

Chet

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought so.

there you go :)

when you just think about it simply ... you are squeezing the air into a smaller and smaller volume inside the
container. It can do nothing but increase in pressure

cheers
Dave

Ok. By now I may go a step further by putting an air pressure gauge into the top barrel to get readings. I believe I can simply plug it in provided sealed.

Related to Air pressure stays the same or increase?

1. What causes air pressure to stay the same or increase?

Air pressure is caused by the weight of the air above a particular location. It stays the same when there is a balance between the upward force of warmer air rising and the downward force of gravity pulling on the air. It increases when there is more air above a location, either due to compression of air molecules or an increase in altitude.

2. Does temperature affect air pressure?

Yes, temperature does affect air pressure. As air molecules heat up, they become more energetic and spread out, decreasing the density of the air. This results in a decrease in air pressure. On the other hand, when air molecules cool down, they become less energetic and closer together, increasing the density of the air and causing an increase in air pressure.

3. How does air pressure impact weather?

Air pressure plays a crucial role in determining weather patterns. Areas of high pressure tend to be associated with clear skies and calm weather, while areas of low pressure are often associated with cloudy skies and stormy weather. This is because air flows from high pressure areas to low pressure areas, leading to changes in temperature and humidity that can influence weather conditions.

4. Can air pressure be measured?

Yes, air pressure can be measured using a tool called a barometer. A barometer measures the weight of the air above a particular location, and this measurement is usually expressed in units of pressure such as millibars or inches of mercury. Meteorologists use barometers to track changes in air pressure and predict weather patterns.

5. How does air pressure affect our bodies?

Our bodies are used to living in an environment with a certain level of air pressure. When air pressure changes, such as during flights or changes in altitude, our bodies may need to adjust to the new pressure. This can cause discomfort or even health problems in some individuals, such as ear pain or altitude sickness. It is important to acclimatize slowly to changes in air pressure to allow our bodies to adapt.