1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air resistance co-efficient

1. Jan 28, 2012 #1
    1. Calculate the air resistance co-efficient of the ballon

I trying to do my best because I have this equations in my notes Fd = k . v^2 and its says the force of air resistance is proportional to the square of the velocity of the object.

So I only now v^2 I think is my terminal velocity that is 2.9584 , but I dont know K because is the air resistance coefficient, and I dont know the force drag ( Fd)

NOW I have this other equation For an object with mass m and air resistance coefficient k the terminal velocity is given by:

Vt = √(m.g/k)

and this I know Vt is 2.9584 , m is 2.3192g , and g is 9.8 but the only thing I dont know is K because is the air coefficient , and I can rearrange the equation like k = √(m.g/vT) ... but I not sure please help me out guys.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2012 #2
    If you have to find "k":

mg = kv^2, when the object is in terminal velocity.
    Rearrange we have mg/v^2 = k.

m = 2.3192 grams or 2.3192 x g ?

What is your problem actually?

4. Jan 28, 2012 #3
    mg/v^2 = k

Ok so the balloon mass is 2.3192 grams , g = 9.8 m/s^2 right? , and v is that my terminal velocity or what velocity do I have to put ?

5. Jan 28, 2012 #4
    If you have find k, based on your equation "air drag = k times v^2",
    k = mg/v^2 = 0.002596871681

Assume v is in m/s

Plug in the terminal velocity cause "air drag equals to mg" when it has the terminal velocity.

6. Jan 28, 2012 #5
    Where do you get that number sorry Im confused! :(

7. Jan 28, 2012 #6
    put m = mass of the object
    put g = 9.8 m/s^2
    put v = terminal velocity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook