Air turbine? to increase air speed/compress air

In summary, a turbine that increases air speed or compression is not a dumb question, but finding information on it can be difficult because any iteration of "air turbine" brought up on Google just brings up information about wind mills.
profinger
Is there such thing as a turbine that increases air speed/compression? This seems like a dumb question but I'm having a heck of a time locating any information on it because any iteration of "air turbine" entered into Google just brings up information about wind mills.

I'm looking for something along the lines of a turbo charger. Powered by one side spinning due to exhaust gasses but the other side spools up and pumps in air. Except I thought there was something that would increase air speed.

Am I delusional? Lol

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are basically describing a gas turbine engine. The component that does the compression portion is simply an axial compressor.

boneh3ad said:
much! are basically describing a gas turbine engine. The component that does the compression portion is simply an axial compressor.
That should give me a great start! Thank you much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you provide us more deails about the purpose/application? That would help us give better focused answers.

russ_watters said:
Could you provide us more deails about the purpose/application? That would help us give better focused answers.

Honestly I'm not completely sure. It's more of just a basic interest. I've been reading about turbochargers and wanted to fiddle with air movement but have no money lol I was hoping for something like breath power able as ridiculous as that might sound ...

Hope that helps a little. The basis is just pure interest though so an axial compressor is a very helpful start! Thanks guys!

More generally, the component you are thinking of is a compressor. Axial compressors are some of the most efficient ones, and are used in large jet engines, but for less expensive and smaller applications, a centrifugal compressor is more common (turbochargers often use centrifugal compressors).

cjl said:
More generally, the component you are thinking of is a compressor. Axial compressors are some of the most efficient ones, and are used in large jet engines, but for less expensive and smaller applications, a centrifugal compressor is more common (turbochargers often use centrifugal compressors).

That's very helpful! Thanks for the information! This is what I was picturing! Thanks! I wish there was a way to get my hands on some tiny turbocharger or something like that to fiddle with and inspect haha. I'd expect that I can but not cheaply..

Maybe out of a car at a junk yard?

Likes profinger
Q_Goest said:
Maybe out of a car at a junk yard?

That's kind of my only lead so far. I've never gone to a junk yard so I don't really know how it works but that's my thought as well. Guess I'll start looking around and see what junk yards are around here.

Some may already have the parts pulled, some may be 'U-pull-it' places, where you personally get to remove the part from a junked car. (You have to bring your own tools for the latter).

Dead vacuum cleaners, leaf blowers, use your imagination.

Likes profinger and RonL
profinger said:
That's kind of my only lead so far. I've never gone to a junk yard so I don't really know how it works but that's my thought as well. Guess I'll start looking around and see what junk yards are around here.
Here's a link that might give you some idea of how simple a air motor or compressor can be,... "Atlas_Airmotors_Pocket_Guide" I can't copy and paste the pdf
places like Goodwill or Savers, any recycle store that resales donated things will have things like, hairdryers and small electrical fans (many types of air movers) they all fall into the same basic principles.:)

Last edited:
Likes profinger

1. How does an air turbine work?

An air turbine works by using the kinetic energy of a moving fluid (in this case air) to generate power. The turbine has blades that are rotated by the air, causing a shaft to turn and generate energy.

2. What is the purpose of increasing air speed/compressing air using an air turbine?

An air turbine can be used to increase the speed of air for various purposes, such as powering a generator or providing thrust for aircraft. Compressing air can also be useful for applications such as pneumatic tools or air conditioning systems.

3. How does an air turbine generate electricity?

An air turbine can generate electricity by using the rotating motion of the blades to turn a generator. The generator uses electromagnetic induction to convert this motion into electrical energy.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of an air turbine?

The efficiency of an air turbine can be affected by several factors, including the design and size of the turbine, the speed and density of the air, and the condition of the blades. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the efficiency.

5. Is an air turbine a renewable source of energy?

Yes, an air turbine can be considered a renewable source of energy as it uses air, which is a renewable resource, to generate power. However, the efficiency of the turbine can be affected by external factors, so it is important to consider these factors when using an air turbine as a renewable energy source.