Airflow to Engine: What Happens if Air In Manifold < Cylinder?

In summary: If it uses... a leadYou might be able to disconnect the lead from the engine block and disable the ignition system that way.
amare
What-will-happen-if-the-air-entering-to-the-intake-manifold-is-smaller-than-the-air-entering-the-cylinder-from-the-manifold?
the following expression is the rate of change of the manifold pressure interms of the mass flowing to the manifold and the mass of air flowing to the cylinder from the manifold. if the air flow to the manifold is zero the manifold pressure will be negative. what does it mean having a negative pressure?

Attachments

• Capture111.PNG
    Capture111.PNG
    1.8 KB · Views: 311
Engineering news on Phys.org
why-do-you-put-dashes-in-between-words?

• Sad
Likes berkeman, russ_watters and amare
Are you not familiar with 'absolute pressure' versus 'gage pressure' ?

amare said:
what does it mean having a negative pressure?

All it means is 'absolute pressure' inside the manifold is less than outside it.
That's why most people call it 'manifold vacuum' instead.
1558434238426.png

Were there no vacuum what would make air flow into the manifold ?

Likes berkeman and russ_watters
phinds said:
why-do-you-put-dashes-in-between-words?
you also put dashes between words... why you did that ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
amare said:
You might want to give that some thought

Likes jim hardy and russ_watters
amare said:
if the air flow to the manifold is zero the manifold pressure will be negative.
Actually your expression is telling you the rate of change of pressure is negative, not the pressure itself.

It's P with a dot above, not just P.
When there's no more air to pump out of the manifold pressure inside it will stop decreasing, of course.

There cannot be an absolute pressure less than zero .
That's why we have to be careful in using formulas , so we don't try to apply them beyond the natural limits imposed on them by Mother Nature..

old jim

jim hardy said:
Actually your expression is telling you the rate of change of pressure is negative, not the pressure itself.

View attachment 243953
It's P with a dot above, not just P.
When there's no more air to pump out of the manifold pressure inside it will stop decreasing, of course.

There cannot be an absolute pressure less than zero .
That's why we have to be careful in using formulas , so we don't try to apply them beyond the natural limits imposed on them by Mother Nature..

old jim
oh i noticed it is the rate of pressure that is negative ! thank you very much ... please help me ! i am modeling and engine in simulink. under normal condintion every thing goes ok with the model on simulink. but I want to design a control valve to be installed between the throttle body and the intake manifold to restrict the flow of air when the vehicle is overloaded ( passenger over loaded for example). so if the vehicle is over loaded (than the required), the airflow to the engine will be blocked by the valve ( not by the butterfly valve in the throttle body) even if the driver press the gas pedal and open the butterfly valve in the throttle body. that means airflow to the intake manifold will be blockd and the engine is expected to stop ! . but in the simulink model the engine speed is not zero. it is negative valve …… because the above equation has a negative valve since the rate of air flow to the manifold is zero ( blocked by the control valve). that is my problem ... the engine model is like in the link below . but i added a control valve model in the throttle and manifold submodel to control airflow. the simulation gives me negative engine speed
https://ch.mathworks.com/help/slcontrol/examples/linearization-of-an-engine-speed-model.html

amare said:
He was gently telling you that it is obnoxious to put in dashes like that. Please do not do that -- it make is harder to read what you write, which means fewer people will bother to read your question and respond. Thanks for not doing it in the future. :smile:

• Love
Likes amare and phinds
Yes that's the trouble with linear equations they don't recognize natural limits that make physical processes nonlinear.

I am unfamiliar with Simulink.
Were i doing this in Fortran i would place a lower limit on manifold pressure.
An engine (or any other single stage piston pump) cannot reduce manifold pressure to less than
(its discharge pressure) divided by (its compression ratio),
you should think for a while why that is so.

So that places a lower bound on your manifold absolute pressure and it is a positive value.

old jim

amare said:
the engine is expected to stop

What about disabling the ignition or fuel injectors? That would be a simple electrical change rather than adding mechanical parts.

BoB

rbelli1 said:
What about disabling the ignition or fuel injectors? That would be a simple electrical change rather than adding mechanical parts.

BoB
How? do you have any method to do that please?

That depends on the engine. On small magneto type ignition systems there is often a lead that when connected to ground (the engine block for example) the ignition stops functioning. If not then you need to somehow electrically isolate it from the engine and your kill switch will re-make that contact to allow ignition.

If it uses an ignition coil you can disconnect one side of the coil and it will not work anymore.

For diesel engines you need to stop the flow of fuel. This is similar to the ignition coil disconnection method except you break the electrical continuity on the injectors. You may have to disable the injectors on an injected gasoline engine to avoid backfiring.

Except for the magneto kill wire these are all fairly high current devices so you will probably want to use a relay.

BoB

Likes amare

1. What is the purpose of airflow in an engine?

The purpose of airflow in an engine is to provide the necessary oxygen for fuel combustion. Without enough airflow, the fuel will not be able to burn efficiently, resulting in decreased engine performance.

2. What happens if there is not enough air in the engine's manifold?

If there is not enough air in the engine's manifold, the fuel will not be able to burn completely, resulting in a decrease in power and efficiency. This can also lead to an increase in emissions and potential damage to the engine.

3. How does the air to fuel ratio affect engine performance?

The air to fuel ratio is a critical factor in engine performance. If there is too much air, the fuel will not burn efficiently, resulting in a decrease in power. If there is too much fuel, it can lead to incomplete combustion and increased emissions.

4. Can a clogged air filter affect the airflow to the engine?

Yes, a clogged air filter can significantly affect the airflow to the engine. It restricts the amount of air that can enter the engine, resulting in decreased performance and potential damage to the engine.

5. How can I improve the airflow to my engine?

To improve the airflow to your engine, you can upgrade to a high-performance air filter or intake system. You can also regularly clean or replace your air filter and ensure that there are no obstructions in the intake system.