1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airplane diving with a circle radius

1. Jun 27, 2013 #1
    1. A 55 kg airplane pilot pulls out of a dive by following, at constant speed, the arc of a circle whose radius is 320 m. At the bottom of the circle, where her speed is 230 km/h, what is the magnitude of her acceleration?

2. Relevant equations

v^2= vi^2 +2a(x-xi)

3. The attempt at a solution

i suppose that the plane has a height of the radius and the initial velocity would be 0. Am I wrong? if I am, please tell me!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2013 #2
    i think only acceleration will be of gravity.

4. Jun 27, 2013 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The equation you cite isn't relevant. Hint: centripetal acceleration.

5. Jun 27, 2013 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. It's moving in a circle.

6. Jun 27, 2013 #5
    I first saw at the eqn he has given and so declared as the acceleration is of gravity.
    I think you are right it is centripetal acceleration.

7. Jun 27, 2013 #6
    oh! that's true! i totally forgot about centripetal forces!

8. Jun 27, 2013 #7
    You are visualizing the question wrongly I believe. The aeroplane is in the air, and is heading down towards the Earth. The pilot then pulls out of the dive - he will not go vertically up straight away, rather, he will move along a curved arc upwards. You have the radius of this arc, you have the velocity, and you have the mass. This is a straightforward formula application question.

9. Jun 27, 2013 #8
    if centripetal force is Fc= m(v^2/r)
    then
    the centripetal acceleration formula can be derived from the circular acceleration right? a=v^2 /r ,right?

10. Jun 27, 2013 #9
    Yes. All you need to do is divide the force by the object's mass to get it's acceleration.

11. Jun 27, 2013 #10
    really? so i just do:

Fc=m (v^2/r)
    Fc/m=a ? i already got confused!

they are giving me:
    m=55kg
    r=320m
    v=230km/h

and a=v^2/r, wouldn't it be easier to just substitute the values in this formula?

12. Jun 27, 2013 #11
    You don't need the mass to calculate the acceleration. You may use the formula in the last line. All the same thing really.

13. Jun 27, 2013 #12

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The answer is not just the centripetal acceleration :-)

14. Jun 27, 2013 #13
    they want me to find the magnitude of her acceleration, which tells me that they only want a numerical value without a direction, so if they are not asking only for centripetal acceleration then what is it!?

15. Jun 27, 2013 #14

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In level flight a pilot experiences 1g.

16. Jun 27, 2013 #15
    Why do you say that?

17. Jun 27, 2013 #16

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I take it back. She feels like she is accelerating at v^2/r + g but is actually only accelerating at v^2/r.

18. Jun 27, 2013 #17
    so how this affects the acceleration? would it be a=(centripetal accel.)(gravity) ??

19. Jun 27, 2013 #18

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, you already have the answer in the last line of your post #10.
    Acceleration is completely determinable by knowing the position as a function of time. With that information, the forces that led to that pattern of movement become irrelevant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted