Airplane diving with a circle radius

In summary, the aeroplane pilot feels like she is accelerating at v^2/r + g but is actually only accelerating at v^2/r.
Robertoalva
1. A 55 kg airplane pilot pulls out of a dive by following, at constant speed, the arc of a circle whose radius is 320 m. At the bottom of the circle, where her speed is 230 km/h, what is the magnitude of her acceleration?

Homework Equations

v^2= vi^2 +2a(x-xi)

The Attempt at a Solution

i suppose that the plane has a height of the radius and the initial velocity would be 0. Am I wrong? if I am, please tell me!

Physics news on Phys.org
i think only acceleration will be of gravity.

The equation you cite isn't relevant. Hint: centripetal acceleration.

nil1996 said:
i think only acceleration will be of gravity.

No. It's moving in a circle.

CWatters said:
No. It's moving in a circle.
I first saw at the eqn he has given and so declared as the acceleration is of gravity.
I think you are right it is centripetal acceleration.

oh! that's true! i totally forgot about centripetal forces!

You are visualizing the question wrongly I believe. The aeroplane is in the air, and is heading down towards the Earth. The pilot then pulls out of the dive - he will not go vertically up straight away, rather, he will move along a curved arc upwards. You have the radius of this arc, you have the velocity, and you have the mass. This is a straightforward formula application question.

if centripetal force is Fc= m(v^2/r)
then
the centripetal acceleration formula can be derived from the circular acceleration right? a=v^2 /r ,right?

Yes. All you need to do is divide the force by the object's mass to get it's acceleration.

really? so i just do:

Fc=m (v^2/r)
Fc/m=a ? i already got confused!

they are giving me:
m=55kg
r=320m
v=230km/h

and a=v^2/r, wouldn't it be easier to just substitute the values in this formula?

You don't need the mass to calculate the acceleration. You may use the formula in the last line. All the same thing really.

The answer is not just the centripetal acceleration :-)

they want me to find the magnitude of her acceleration, which tells me that they only want a numerical value without a direction, so if they are not asking only for centripetal acceleration then what is it!?

In level flight a pilot experiences 1g.

CWatters said:
The answer is not just the centripetal acceleration :-)

Why do you say that?

I take it back. She feels like she is accelerating at v^2/r + g but is actually only accelerating at v^2/r.

so how this affects the acceleration? would it be a=(centripetal accel.)(gravity) ??

Robertoalva said:
so how this affects the acceleration? would it be a=(centripetal accel.)(gravity) ??
No, you already have the answer in the last line of your post #10.
Acceleration is completely determinable by knowing the position as a function of time. With that information, the forces that led to that pattern of movement become irrelevant.

1. What is airplane diving with a circle radius?

Airplane diving with a circle radius is a type of maneuver performed by pilots during flight. It involves diving the airplane at a specific angle while maintaining a constant radius of turn.

2. Why is it important for pilots to practice airplane diving with a circle radius?

Practicing this maneuver helps pilots develop their skills in controlling the aircraft's speed, altitude, and bank angle. It also improves their understanding of the aerodynamics involved in turning and diving an airplane.

3. How is the circle radius determined during airplane diving?

The circle radius is determined by the pilot's choice of bank angle and airspeed. These factors, along with the airplane's weight and air density, will determine the radius of the turn during the maneuver.

4. What are the potential risks of performing airplane diving with a circle radius?

The risks involved in this maneuver include loss of control if the pilot does not maintain proper airspeed and bank angle, as well as potential structural stress on the aircraft if the maneuver is not executed correctly.

5. Are there any practical applications for airplane diving with a circle radius?

Yes, this maneuver is commonly used in aerial surveying and crop dusting. It allows pilots to fly in a circular pattern while maintaining a constant altitude, making it easier to accurately map or treat a specific area.