1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airplane Windows

1. Mar 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Why are the windows on a commercial jet so small?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I said because the smaller the window the less force that will be applied on it due to pressure differences. But since F=AP and the pressure stays the same the larger the windows are the more force they would be susceptible to. Is this the correct answer? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2013 #2

tms

There are more important considerations than that.

4. Mar 26, 2013 #3
    Yes I assumed there were. I believe another reason would be so that if a window was compromised the pressure would not drop in the airplane that fast because the air would have to escape out of a smaller area and the pilot would be able to get to lower altitudes in time. If the windows were large te pressure would change too quickly for the pilot to get to a safe altitude. Right?

5. Mar 26, 2013 #4

tms

Yes, that is a factor, too. I understand that such events have caused the loss of some planes in the past. But there is still a bigger issue. Have you ever seen a house being built?

6. Mar 26, 2013 #5
    Try thinking of it in terms of beam bending under a uniformly distributed load. The airplane is the analogous problem for a plate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted