Airplane Wings & Atmospheric Pressure

In summary, the conversation involved discussing the amount of lift on airplane wings based on different factors such as the wing area and atmospheric pressure difference. The first question asked to rank the wings in order of most to least lift, while the second question involved a specific scenario and required solving for the lift using the formula for pressure. The speaker expressed confusion in understanding the concept and wanted further clarification.
LoveKnowledge
1. I got the correct answer but I am confused about the reasoning and want to understand the concept..

"Rank from most to least, the amount of lift on the following airplane wings: a. Area 1000 m^2 with atmospheric pressure difference of 2.0 N/m^2, b. Area 800 m^2 with atmospheric pressure difference of 2.4 N/m^2, c. Area 600 m^2 with atmospheric pressure difference of 3.8 N/m^2

2. N/A

3. C, A, B

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a similar one that is related to this question (and I already have the answer) but I am confused to the concept of it and want to understand it..

"Consider an airplane with a total wing surface of 100^2 m. At a certain speed the difference in air pressure below and above the wings is 4% of atmospheric pressure. Show that the lift on the airplane is 400,000 N."

A: Pressure = F/A, F=PA=(0.04)(〖10〗^5 N/(m^2)) (100 m^2) = 4 x 10^5 N = 400,000 N for lift of airplane

Confused in understanding the reason of this...(math and equations are not my strong suit)

1. How do airplane wings create lift?

Airplane wings are designed to create lift through a combination of shape and angle. The curved shape of the wing, known as an airfoil, causes air to flow faster over the top of the wing compared to the bottom. This creates a difference in air pressure, with lower pressure on top and higher pressure on the bottom. The tilt of the wing, known as the angle of attack, also helps to create lift by directing the air downwards and creating a reaction force upwards.

2. What role does atmospheric pressure play in airplane flight?

Atmospheric pressure, also known as air pressure, is a critical factor in airplane flight. It is the force exerted by the weight of the air above the aircraft and affects the lift, drag, and stability of the airplane. Pilots must constantly monitor and adjust for changes in atmospheric pressure to maintain safe and efficient flight.

3. How does air pressure change as an airplane flies at different altitudes?

As an airplane climbs to higher altitudes, the air pressure decreases. This is because there is less air above the airplane pushing down on it. At sea level, the average air pressure is around 14.7 pounds per square inch (psi), but at 30,000 feet, it can drop to around 4.4 psi. This change in air pressure requires adjustments to the airplane's systems and controls.

4. What happens when an airplane encounters turbulence?

Turbulence is a common occurrence in airplane flight, caused by changes in air pressure and wind patterns. When an airplane encounters turbulence, the wings experience fluctuations in lift, which can cause the airplane to shake or bounce. Modern airplanes are designed to withstand turbulence, and pilots are trained to safely navigate through it.

5. How are airplane wings designed to withstand high air pressure?

Airplane wings are designed to withstand high air pressure by using strong and lightweight materials, such as aluminum or composite materials. The wing's shape and structure are also carefully engineered to distribute the forces of air pressure evenly and prevent any weak points. Regular maintenance and inspections are also crucial to ensuring the wings remain strong and able to withstand high air pressure during flight.