Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Al-Qaeda afraid of Obama?

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7737710.stm

No no, he is not different, he is an infidel! Really! And he is a slave to the infidels!!!

In the face of Obama's immense popularity abroad, does Al-Qaeda now have a public relations problem?

I think so.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2008 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When didn't Al Qaeda have a public relations problem?

4. Nov 19, 2008 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the ME, of course.

Answer: When Bush was President.

5. Nov 19, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Al Qaeda need a rebranding exercise, the AK47 is really overused by terrorist logos.
    The arabic writing on the flags doesn't test well with the illiterate market.
    Additionally the whole straggly beard motif doesn't sell to the female demographic.

Perhaps they could do something with pastels and a flower based logo?

6. Nov 19, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, some flowers may make the "blow yourself to bits" option more attractive.

Before he even takes office, Obama has the terrorists playing defense.

7. Nov 19, 2008 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think Al Qaeda is the only one with an image problem in the ME...

http://mideast.blogs.time.com/
    http://www.arabnews.com/?page=7&section=0&article=116161&d=7&m=11&y=2008

Before he even takes office, Obama is playing into the hands of the Terrorists.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  8. Nov 19, 2008 #7
    Debatable argument. Considering what you said earlier, i.e.:

The terrorists really wouldn't give a damn if he picked rahm-E or not. You need to revise your statement to 'playing into the hands of the terrorists' if you are using sources from mainstream news sources from Egypt. As we both know, that isnt a terrorist organization nor does it have anything to do with it. I think what you meant to say was, "Obamas choice of rahm is working against him in the arab media" - which would constitute a valid argument.

9. Nov 19, 2008 #8

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I would think that Al Qaeda should be afraid of Obama.

With Bush, never catching him gave him a reason to hide behind so he and Cheney could conduct aggressive action against Iraq and Iran.

Obama on the other hand sees different strategic interests, and settling things in the Middle East would be a useful way forward to focus domestically and develop technologies for greater independence from oil in the first place. My suspicion is that at the highest levels Bush and Cheney have wanted to actually keep Bin Laden alive to serve their own Machiavellian purposes. It likely wouldn't be the first time the Ventriloquist and his Puppet postured on the big stage.

10. Nov 19, 2008 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not to mention that according to chemisttree, by implication, Bush had apparently been playing into the hands of the terrorists all along.

I agree with your general point as well. The idea that individual appointments will have any lasting impact on global perception, is silly.

Also, the terrorists clearly do feel threatened by Obama's positive image, and his message of peace and cooperation. That is why they made the video.

11. Nov 19, 2008 #10

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Huh? Who are you quoting?

Non sequitur... the point made by Ivan was that Al Qaeda had a good image in the ME. I don't agree. Now you are equating that, somehow, with me saying that the discussion is somehow related to Obama's image with terrorists. Thus what follows makes no sense...

My actual point was that if it was the terrorist's aim was toward "... sustaining anti-American sentiment among Muslims in the face of Barack Obama's election...", as was stated in the article that Ivan quoted, that Obama was himself acting in that capacity as well. Thus, Obama is 'playing into the hands of the terrorists'.

12. Nov 19, 2008 #11
    Of course Al-Qaeda is afraid of Obama -- He's one of them!

Okay, so the real reason they are afraid of him is because he has more than 2 brain cells and will actually try to get things to work out in Iraq and Afghanistan instead of brute forcing a failing method. Not to mention being able to garner support from allies and in general the whole message of peace, as Ivan put it.

13. Nov 19, 2008 #12

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Again, non sequitur to the discussion. I made absolutely no inference to Bush (or McCain!).

14. Nov 19, 2008 #13

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I can see no logical reason why you would think that they are - could you explain? To me it implies that they are not afraid of him. They do these things for PR, but they wouldn't do them as much if they thought there would be consequences. The purpsoe is therefore probably to show that they are not afraid of him. It's an opening shot, an act of defiance, and an attempt to intimidate.
    Please explain. Just asserting it is not an explanation and carries no weight.

This thread is of very poor quality, Ivan. As you know, the OP of a thread sets the tone. Your OP provided assertions without explanations -- and then you continued that tone.

15. Nov 19, 2008 #14
    Al Qaeda fear nothing; they know God is on their side. They're not even afraid to die.

The islamists are playing victims. They won't stop terrorising before the whole western world is islamised and Sharia is s global law. I agree with Obama. No need to withdraw the troops and let crazy islamists gain power.

16. Nov 19, 2008 #15
    I was quoting the article that you provided. Sorry, I should not have said "you said", but "your provided article said"

Edit: Sorry, that was Ivan's link. Not yours.

Not at all. The terrorists are not going to say, gee obama sure is a swell guy. As your link showed, they said he was 'betraying his muslim roots'. The 'they' in the last sentence being al-qaeda. Given that fact, even if Obama did not pick rahm-E, they would still find an excuse, some excuse, any excuse, to daemonize him.

What I'm saying is that his pick of rahm-E, a jew, will work against him when it comes to the arab press. This is totally different than Al Qaeda (stated in the earlier paragraph) because they were never going to be supporting him, ever. The arab press would and did.

This is why I'm saying your use of describing the pick of rahm-E in the arab press AND al qaeda in the same breath is comparing apples to oranges.

I don't know if I would agree with the last sentence. I understand what you're saying. But I would counter your agument that 'playing into the hands of the terrorists' would be picking someone, a non-jew, actually no jews, to work for him in high level positions. Now, that's pandering to the terrorists, IMO.

17. Nov 19, 2008 #16
    The republicans especially Joe the plumber got them all excited by implying Obama would mean death to Israel. His appointment of Rahm is just a clear sign that Obama isn't a terrorist bent on destroying Israel.

18. Nov 19, 2008 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree. That's my interpretation as well. They're recognizing the new leadership, so are turning their focus from old to new, but letting the world know that it doesn't matter to them who is in charge and they are still a threat.

19. Nov 19, 2008 #18
  20. Nov 19, 2008 #19
    What motivates Al Qaeda? It takes something special to behave like they do.

21. Nov 19, 2008 #20

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Some magic guy in the clouds with a big beard who claims to have created the world.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?