Balanced Combustion Equations for Alcohols

In summary, the conversation is about checking the balance of chemical equations. The method suggested is to count the number of carbons and hydrogens in the reactants and products, and then add the appropriate number of oxygen molecules to balance them. The participants also discuss the possibility of making mistakes during this process.
The Bob
I simply want to check that these equations are balanced correctly:

[tex]2CH_3OH_{(g)} + 3O_2_{(g)} \rightarrow 2CO_2_{(g)} + 4H_2O_{(l)}[/tex]

[tex]CH_3CH_2OH_{(g)} + 3O_2_{(g)} \rightarrow 2CO_2_{(g)} + 3H_2O_{(l)}[/tex]

[tex]2CH_3CH(OH)CH_3_{(g)} + 9O_2_{(g)} \rightarrow 6CO_2_{(g)} + 8H_2O_{(l)}[/tex]

[tex]CH_3(CH_2)_2CH_2OH_{(g)} + 6O_2_{(g)} \rightarrow 4CO_2_{(g)} + 5H_2O_{(l)}[/tex]

Thanks.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The easy way to be sure about if your reactions have been successfully balanced, put the number of total carbons to carbon dioxide; and put the hydrogens' total number, multiplied with 0.5 to water. This will do it. As a last step, add the oxygens of carbon dioxide and water, and divide it to 2 and write it before oxygen. This is it!

chem_tr said:
The easy way to be sure about if your reactions have been successfully balanced, put the number of total carbons to carbon dioxide; and put the hydrogens' total number, multiplied with 0.5 to water. This will do it. As a last step, add the oxygens of carbon dioxide and water, and divide it to 2 and write it before oxygen. This is it!
This is what I did. I can balance equations I was just wondering if someone could check them and say they think they are right as well because I believe they are.

Thanks

The Bob (2004 ©)

Seems OK. Excluding the chance of me during my fast scan making exactly the same mistake as you when calculating it the first time.
(Thought I'd make at least one mistake, maybe something must be wrong anyway then :wink: )

osskall said:
Seems OK. Excluding the chance of me during my fast scan making exactly the same mistake as you when calculating it the first time.
(Thought I'd make at least one mistake, maybe something must be wrong anyway then :wink: )
Cheers. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

1. What is alcohol combustion?

Alcohol combustion is the process of burning alcohol, typically in the presence of oxygen, to produce heat, light, and other byproducts. It is a chemical reaction that breaks down the alcohol molecules into smaller molecules, releasing energy in the form of heat and light.

2. Which type of alcohol is commonly used for combustion?

The most commonly used alcohol for combustion is ethanol, also known as grain alcohol or ethyl alcohol. This is the type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages such as beer, wine, and liquor. Methanol, also known as wood alcohol, is also used for combustion in some cases.

3. How does alcohol combustion differ from other fuel sources?

Unlike fossil fuels, which release large amounts of carbon dioxide and other pollutants when burned, alcohol combustion produces fewer emissions and is considered a cleaner burning fuel source. This is because alcohol is primarily made up of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, whereas fossil fuels also contain sulfur and other impurities.

4. What are the potential hazards of alcohol combustion?

One potential hazard of alcohol combustion is the production of carbon monoxide, a colorless and odorless gas that is toxic to humans and animals. Proper ventilation is necessary when burning alcohol to prevent the buildup of carbon monoxide. Additionally, alcohol combustion can also produce small amounts of other harmful byproducts such as aldehydes and ketones.

5. How is alcohol combustion used in everyday life?

Alcohol combustion is used in a variety of ways in everyday life. It is the primary source of energy in many types of engines, including those in cars, boats, and airplanes. It is also used in heating systems and cooking appliances. Additionally, alcohol combustion is used in some industrial processes, such as producing plastics and other chemicals.