Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alcohols Combustion

1. Dec 10, 2004 #1
    I simply want to check that these equations are balanced correctly:

[tex]2CH_3OH_{(g)} + 3O_2_{(g)} \rightarrow 2CO_2_{(g)} + 4H_2O_{(l)}[/tex]

[tex]CH_3CH_2OH_{(g)} + 3O_2_{(g)} \rightarrow 2CO_2_{(g)} + 3H_2O_{(l)}[/tex]

[tex]2CH_3CH(OH)CH_3_{(g)} + 9O_2_{(g)} \rightarrow 6CO_2_{(g)} + 8H_2O_{(l)}[/tex]

[tex]CH_3(CH_2)_2CH_2OH_{(g)} + 6O_2_{(g)} \rightarrow 4CO_2_{(g)} + 5H_2O_{(l)}[/tex]

The Bob (2004 ©)
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The easy way to be sure about if your reactions have been successfully balanced, put the number of total carbons to carbon dioxide; and put the hydrogens' total number, multiplied with 0.5 to water. This will do it. As a last step, add the oxygens of carbon dioxide and water, and divide it to 2 and write it before oxygen. This is it!
  4. Dec 10, 2004 #3
    This is what I did. I can balance equations I was just wondering if someone could check them and say they think they are right as well because I believe they are.

The Bob (2004 ©)
  5. Dec 10, 2004 #4
    Seems OK. Excluding the chance of me during my fast scan making exactly the same mistake as you when calculating it the first time.
    (Thought I'd make at least one mistake, maybe something must be wrong anyway then :wink: )
  6. Dec 10, 2004 #5
    Cheers. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?