Algebra 2, solve with steps

In summary, to solve for x2 in the equation a1b1/x1 = a2b2/x2, you can multiply both sides by the reciprocal of x1 to get rid of the denominator on the left, then multiply both sides by the reciprocal of x2 to get rid of the denominator on the right. This will leave you with x2 = a2b2x1/(a1b1), or a2b2x1 divided by a1b1.
iamjon.smith

Homework Statement

[/B]
a1b1/x1= a2b2/x2solve for x2

Homework Equations

no relevant questions apply, this is a stand alone review question

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
multiply times reciprocal to get rid of denominator on left

(x1) (a1b1/x1)= (a2b2/x2)(x1)

a1b1 = (a2b2x1/x2)

multiply times reciprocal to get rid of denominator on right

(x2) a1b1/x1= a2b2x1/x2 (x2)

a1b1x2 = a2b2x1

divide by a1b1 to get x2 alone

a1b1x2/a1b1 = a2a2x1/(a1b1)

x2 = a2b2x1/(a1b1) I know I have missed something, but this is my best attempt at solving this problem. Could someone please review and help me figure out what I missed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have not missed anything; your answer is correct (provided that you never divide by zero anywhere, so provided that all x's a's and b's are nonzero). Your argument is very long-winded, though, and can be shortened into two lines:
[tex] \frac{a_1 b_1}{x_1} = \frac{a_2 b_2}{x_2}\, ,\\
\text{so }\; \frac{x_1}{a_1 b_1} = \frac{x_2}{a_2 b_2} \, ,\\
\text{so }\; x_2 = \frac{x_1}{a_1 b_1} a_2 b_2 = \frac{a_2 b_2 x_1}{a_1 b_1} [/tex]

Likes iamjon.smith

What is Algebra 2?

Algebra 2 is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of symbols and the rules for manipulating these symbols to solve equations and express relationships between quantities.

How do I solve an Algebra 2 problem?

To solve an Algebra 2 problem, you need to follow a series of steps. First, identify the variables and their values in the problem. Then, use the appropriate formulas or rules to manipulate the equations and isolate the variable you are solving for. Finally, check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

What are the common topics covered in Algebra 2?

Some common topics covered in Algebra 2 include linear and quadratic equations, inequalities, functions, logarithms, exponential functions, and matrices.

What is the importance of solving Algebra 2 problems with steps?

Solving Algebra 2 problems with steps helps you understand the process and reasoning behind each step, which can improve your problem-solving skills and help you apply these concepts to more complex problems in the future.

Can I use a calculator to solve Algebra 2 problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve Algebra 2 problems, but it is important to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving the problem manually. A calculator should be used as a tool to check your work or for more complex calculations, but it should not replace understanding the underlying concepts.