Algebra and analysis questions

In summary, (1) let f: [a,b] --> R be an integrable function. Consider a sequence (Pn) of tagged partitions with ||Pn|| -> 0. Prove that int over [a,b] of f(x) = lim n-> infinity of S(f, (Pn)).(2) (a) Let f: [0,1] -> R be defined by:f(x) = 1 if x=1/n for n a natural number= 0 otherwiseis f integrable? if so find int of f(x) over [0,1](b) same question
JasonJo
(1) let f: [a,b] --> R be an integrable function. Consider a sequence (Pn) of tagged partitions with ||Pn|| -> 0. Prove that int over [a,b] of f(x) = lim n-> infinity of S(f, (Pn)).
- i stated what it means for a function to be integrable, using the episolon-delta definition, but i can't seem to find the step i need.

(2)
(a) Let f: [0,1] -> R be defined by:
f(x) = 1 if x=1/n for n a natural number
= 0 otherwise

is f integrable? if so find int of f(x) over [0,1]
(b) same question for g: [0,1] -> R
g(x)=n if x=1/n for some n a natural number
= 0 otherwise

(3) prove that a homomorphism from a field to a ring with more than one element must be an isomorphism.
- i got that kerT, where T is our homomorphism, is trivial. i just don't get the onto proof yet. why is T onto? i tried assuming it's not onto and trying to derive a contradiction that kerT is not trivial.

check it out:
suppose T is not onto, then there exists an element r in the ring R such that there does not exist f in the field such that T(f) = r. however, there exists r1 + r2 = r and f1 and f2 such that T(f1)=r1 and T(f2)=r2, then T(f1+f2)=r1+r2=r, which is a contradiction. but this doesn't seem to be right

(4) prove that Q[x]/<x^2-2> is ring isomorphic to Q[sqrt(2)].
- i can't find a proper isomorphism. really stuck

thanks guys! last homeworks of the semester!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1,2. I'm getting sick of saying this, but PLEASE INCLUDE THE DEFINITIONS YOU'RE USING. In this case, how are you defining the integral of a function, and what are the integrable functions?

3. This isn't true. You always have the trivial homomorphism, sending every element to 0. If you exclude this, you can pretty easily prove the homomorphism is injective, and so is an isomorphism between the field and its image. But there's no way to guarantee it's surjective. For example, say there's a isomorphsim from F->R, and R is a proper subring of S, then there is a non-surjective homomorphsim from F to S. (for a more explicit example, take the inclusion homomorphism from the field Q to the ring R.) Also note your proof doesn't use any properties specific to this case, so essentially you've proven every homomorphism whatsoever is surjective. (by the way, you haven't)

4. Show more work. Write out definitions.

Last edited:
Question (2) is very simple: do you know the Riemann criterion for integrability? Do you know about Upper and Lower Riemann sums?

1. What is the difference between algebra and analysis?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation of symbols and equations to solve problems, while analysis is a branch that focuses on the study of functions and their properties. Algebra is more concerned with the structure of mathematical objects, while analysis is more concerned with their behavior.

2. What are some common applications of algebra and analysis?

Algebra has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science, where it is used to solve problems and model real-world situations. Analysis is commonly used in calculus, differential equations, and other areas of mathematical modeling to study the behavior of systems and make predictions.

3. How does algebra and analysis relate to each other?

Algebra is often considered the foundation for analysis, as many of the basic concepts and techniques used in analysis are built upon the principles of algebra. For example, the study of functions in analysis relies heavily on concepts such as equations, variables, and equations, which are all fundamental components of algebra.

4. What are some key skills needed for success in algebra and analysis?

To excel in algebra and analysis, one must have a strong foundation in basic math skills such as arithmetic, fractions, and equations. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and abstract reasoning skills are essential for success in both subjects.

5. How can I improve my understanding of algebra and analysis?

Practice is key to improving your understanding of algebra and analysis. Work through problems regularly and seek help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and your teacher or tutor when needed. It is also helpful to make connections between different concepts and to apply them in real-world scenarios.