Algebra and Complex Numbers This one is tough

In summary: This theorem states that if a polynomial has a complex root, then its conjugate is also a root. Therefore, in order for a polynomial to have only complex roots, all of its roots must occur in complex conjugates. This can be easily proven by using the quadratic formula, and can be extended to polynomials of any degree.
Prashant Jain
Prove that all polynomials with real coefficients, having complex roots can occur in complex conjugates only.

It's easy to prove in a quadratic equation...
## ax^{2} + bx + c = 0 ##

## \displaystyle x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt(b^2 - 4ac)}{2a} ##

But how to prove the same in general?
Please help, wasted a lot of time thinking about it!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want to show that if [itex] P [/itex] is a real polynomial, then [itex] P(z)=0 [/itex] implies [itex] P(\bar{z})=0 [/itex]. You will find this is not too hard to do if you use the fact that [tex] (\bar{z})^n=\bar{(z^n)} [/tex]

Edit: Please reply to your other thread.

Every polynomial with real coefficients can be factored, in terms of real numbers to linear or quadratic factors.

HallsofIvy said:
Every polynomial with real coefficients can be factored, in terms of real numbers to linear or quadratic factors.

How do you know that without assuming both the fundamental theorem of algebra (which is a far more sophisticated result than the statement the OP wants to prove) and the statement that the OP is trying to prove. It seems to me (and I could be wrong) that the only way to conclude that you could factor like this is to assume in the first place that for each linear (complex) factor in the factorization, the linear factor corresponding to the conjugate is also in the factorization, which is what allows you to create real, quadratic factors.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Prashant Jain said:
Prove that all polynomials with real coefficients, having complex roots can occur in complex conjugates only.

It's easy to prove in a quadratic equation...
## ax^{2} + bx + c = 0 ##

## \displaystyle x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt(b^2 - 4ac)}{2a} ##

But how to prove the same in general?
Please help, wasted a lot of time thinking about it!

You might not know it, but this exercise (or a generalization of it) is the very reason that Galois theory works.

OK, never mind me, just wanted to say why this exercise is important :biggrin:

Mentor... i solved many quadratic, cubic and quartic equations and whenever i got a complex solution, one of the other solutions was always a complex conjugate... This made me think that the result was true for all polynomial and hence the question... Thanks to all of you, i have finally been able to produce a valid proof... Actually, this question is about the complex conjugate root theorem.

Last edited:

Related to Algebra and Complex Numbers This one is tough

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols, variables, and equations to represent and solve mathematical problems.

2. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and an imaginary part. They are typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

3. What is the difference between a real number and a complex number?

A real number is a number that can be found on the number line and has only a real part. A complex number, on the other hand, has both a real and an imaginary part and cannot be found on the number line.

4. How are algebra and complex numbers used in real life?

Algebra and complex numbers are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to model and solve real-world problems. They are also used in computer graphics, electrical engineering, and signal processing.

5. What are the basic operations in algebra and complex numbers?

In algebra, the basic operations are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. In complex numbers, these operations are extended to include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and taking powers and roots of complex numbers.