Algebra II Trigonometry Circular Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the exact values of the six trigonometric functions of a given number in radians and degrees. The conversation also addresses using simple identities to find the exact values and determining the appropriate form for the answers. Some examples are provided for better understanding.
velox_xox

Homework Statement

Find the exact values of the six trigonometric function of the given number. If a function is undefined for the number, say so.

11[itex]\pi[/itex]/6

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I did it was to turn it into radians by simply doing the math...
5.76 radians
Then, I multiplied that by 57.3 to get degrees.
330 degrees
After that, I double checked it against -30 degrees so that I could use the table.

I didn't have an issue with getting the correct answers. My issue is with the form.

The answers weren't decimals.
Example:
sin = - 0.5000
cos = 0.8660
tan = - 0.5774

They were left in fraction form.
Example:
sin = - 1/2
cos = [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]/2
tan = - [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]/3

I have a feeling that my exams want me to answer in the fractional form. And, I don't have an idea of how to do that. Please forgive me if it is obvious.

Also, sorry that my LaTex is rather sloppy. Apparently, the board has changed since I've been away.

Thanks in advance for the help. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't imagine why you would do all that. The point of this exersize is to use what you know about the trig functions to get exact values, not to just to plug numbers into a calculator to get approximate answers.

Just notice that [itex]11\pi/6= (12pi- \pi)/6= 2\pi- \pi/6[/itex] so, because sine and cosine have period [itex]2\pi[/itex], [itex]sin(11\pi/6)= sin(-\pi/6)[/itex] and [itex]cos(11\pi/6)= cos(-\pi/6)[/itex]. And since sine is an odd function and cosine is an even function those are equal to [itex]-sin(\pi/6)[/itex] and [itex]cos(\pi./6)[/itex].

If you don't know, off hand, what those are, imagine an equilateral triangle with each side of length 2. Each angle has measure [itex]\pi/3[/itex] and if you draw a perpendicular from one vertex to the opposite side, you have a right triangle with angle [itex]\pi/6[/itex], hypotenuse of length 2 and "opposite side" of length 1. What is the length of the "near side" and what are [itex]sin(\pi/6)[/itex] and [itex]cos(\pi/6)[/itex]?

@HallsofIvy: Thank you so much for your help. In particular, the equilateral triangle explanation really enabled my understanding. I drew everything out, figured that one of the legs is '1' because the perpendicular line bisects that side, and from the Pythagorean Theorem that the other leg of the triangle is [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]. Then, from there, I was able to just pay attention to sine and cosine. Now, I understand that in the example you gave me sine is 1/2 and cosine is [itex]\sqrt{3}/2[/itex].

The visual of drawing out the triangle really was the key to me understanding and getting the correct answers in the correct form for this particular problem, but I also had a problem [itex]-5\pi/6[/itex] which I solved the same way as in my earlier post and got the correct answers but in the wrong form. How do I apply what you have taught me to all problems of this nature?

Why don't you make use of the simple identities [itex]\cos(2\pi-x)=\cos(2\pi)\cos(x)+\sin(2\pi)\sin(x)=\cos(x)[/itex] and [itex]\sin(2\pi-x)=\sin(2\pi)\cos(x)-\cos(2\pi)\sin(x)=-\sin(x)[/itex] Also, [itex]\cos(-x)=\cos(x)[/itex] and [itex]\sin(-x)=-\sin(x)[/itex]. These are very well known properties.

@Millennial: Hm, I haven't learned that yet or I somehow overlooked it. Today I'm going to try and go back to review in my textbook anyways, so I'll keep my eye out for that.

Could you give me an example using one of the identities or point me in the direction of a website (or thread on on PF) that has examples of it? I normally need to see an identity in action to understand how to apply it correctly.

Thank you for your help.

What is Algebra II Trigonometry Circular Functions?

Algebra II Trigonometry Circular Functions is a branch of mathematics that studies the relationships between angles and sides of triangles, particularly right triangles. It also explores the circular functions of sine, cosine, and tangent, which are used to solve problems involving angles and sides in circular objects such as wheels and gears.

How is Algebra II Trigonometry Circular Functions used in real life?

Algebra II Trigonometry Circular Functions is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, astronomy, and navigation. It is used to solve problems involving angles, distances, and heights in real-life scenarios. For example, it is used in designing and building structures, calculating trajectories of projectiles, and determining the position of stars in the sky.

What are the key concepts in Algebra II Trigonometry Circular Functions?

The key concepts in Algebra II Trigonometry Circular Functions include angles, right triangles, trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent), inverse trigonometric functions, and the unit circle. These concepts are used to understand and solve problems involving triangles and circular objects.

What is the difference between Algebra II Trigonometry Circular Functions and Geometry?

While both Algebra II Trigonometry Circular Functions and Geometry deal with shapes and measurements, they have different focuses. Geometry primarily deals with the properties and measurements of shapes, while Algebra II Trigonometry Circular Functions focuses on the relationships between angles and sides of triangles, and the circular functions that arise from those relationships.

What are some important applications of Algebra II Trigonometry Circular Functions?

Some important applications of Algebra II Trigonometry Circular Functions include solving problems involving angles and distances, calculating heights and distances in real-life scenarios, and analyzing periodic phenomena such as sound waves and electrical signals. It is also used in fields such as architecture, music, and game development.