Algebraic Simplification: Finding Unit Tangent and Normal Vectors

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation is about finding the unit tangent vector and normal vector, as well as simplifying algebraic expressions. The speaker is struggling with algebra and is seeking help from others. They are discussing the square root of an expression and testing it with different values of t. They also mention the importance of having a strong foundation in math.
mr_coffee
well 'm finding the unit tangent bector and normal vector and then finding its curve, that's not bad but I'm hung up on some algebra..
I have sqrt(4t^2 + 4 + 1/t^2);
can that equal...
2t*2*1/t = 4?

Also...
sqrt(4t^2 + 25t^8)
Will that simpify too:
10t^5?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you test them with a few values of t? (Try t = 1.)

Yeah that is so not working, so i know its wrong and yet I'm still stuck. Who said 8th grade math was required for calc III? :uhh:

Hopefully, you learned long ago that, in general, [itex]\sqrt{a^2+ b^2}\ne a+ b[/itex].
What is (2t+ 1/t)2? Do you see how that answers your question?

"Who said 8th grade math was required for calc III? "

Pretty much every teacher of 8th grade math or calc III!

I used to tell my calculus 1 students that everything they had ever learned in math, from kindergarten on, would show up sometime during the year, and anything they had learned imperfectly would grow teeth and bite them. No one ever accused me of exaggerating by the end of the year.

mr_coffee said:
well 'm finding the unit tangent bector and normal vector and then finding its curve, that's not bad but I'm hung up on some algebra..
I have sqrt(4t^2 + 4 + 1/t^2);
can that equal...
2t*2*1/t = 4?

Also...
sqrt(4t^2 + 25t^8)
Will that simpify too:
10t^5?

Try to square your answer :
[tex](2t * 2 *\frac{1}{t})^2[/tex]

And hopefully you'll see that it's not equal to what you originally had, which is written like:
[tex]\sqrt{4t^2 + 4 + \frac{1}{t^2}}[/tex]

Same for:
[tex]\sqrt{4t^2 + 25t^8}[/tex],
that will not equal
[tex]10t^5[/tex]
Can you tell us how you got that so at least one of our many brilliant helpers can assist you on your algebra, and hopefully overcoming your weakness.

Last edited:

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation and use of symbols to represent quantities and the relationships between them. It is used to solve equations and analyze patterns and structures.

2. How is algebra different from arithmetic?

Algebra is different from arithmetic because it involves using letters and symbols to represent unknown quantities, whereas arithmetic only deals with numbers and basic operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

3. What are the basic operations in algebra?

The basic operations in algebra are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations are used to manipulate and simplify algebraic expressions and solve equations.

4. What is the order of operations in algebra?

The order of operations in algebra follows the acronym PEMDAS, which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). This is used to determine the correct order in which to solve an algebraic expression.

5. How do I solve algebraic equations?

To solve an algebraic equation, you need to isolate the variable (usually represented by a letter) on one side of the equation and perform the inverse operation on both sides. This will give you the value of the variable and solve the equation.