Is Ali Al-Nimr Being Sentenced to Crucifixion in Saudi Arabia?

• News
  • Thread starter naima
  • Start date
In summary, Saudi Arabia beheads and crucifies a teenager, sparking international outcry. France asks Saudi authorities to stop, but Obama has not said anything.
naima
Gold Member
Do you know that in one of our allied countries an opponent can be beheaded and then crucified?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
He may die today but PF are more interested in homemade clocks or funny pictures about saudi cars for women.
Our french president asked saudi authorities to stop that. What did Obama say or did not say?

naima said:
He may die today but PF are more interested in homemade clocks or funny pictures about saudi cars for women.
This is unfair of you. Unfortunately lots of unjustified people die every day, but you cherry pick this issue and then morally reprimand us for not paying enough attention.

I searched and I couldn't find any quote from Obama on this. Hopefully France can persuade them.

Apparently the looming execution of Ali Al-Nimr has sparked a global outcry to prevent his murder.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/looming...audi-ali-mohammed-alnimr-20150923-gjtlhk.html

New York: An international campaign calling on Saudi Arabia to halt the beheading and "crucifixion" of a young man arrested when he was still at high school is growing, but there are fears he could be killed at any time.

Plenty of international groups are publicizing the call to prevent his murder.
http://www.reprieve.org.uk/saudi-arabia-stop-the-crucifixtion-of-ali-al-nimr/

Father of Saudi youth on death row asks king for clemency
http://news.yahoo.com/father-saudi-youth-death-row-asks-king-clemency-143200407.html

I would imagine his father is in a better position to ask for clemency. I think Obama and other world leaders should pressure the Saudi King for clemency, and in the longer term, request that the Saudis be less violent to those who express disagreement with the government.

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
This is unfair of you. Unfortunately lots of unjustified people die every day, but you cherry pick this issue and then morally reprimand us for not paying enough attention.

I searched and I couldn't find any quote from Obama on this. Hopefully France can persuade them.

Imagine that Isis send a video: they behead someone. And they show the beheaded corpse rotting on a cross in Alep to terorize the population. I know that we do not buy petrol to Isis but...
Do you see that hundred of times each day?
I know that every state has its rules. But if we accept that, if we say that is cherry picking we will never be allowed to critisize children rapes or torture of prisoners by any army or any dictator

Last edited:
naima said:
I know that every state has its rules. But if we accept that, if we say that is cherry picking we will never be allowed to critisize children rapes or torture of prisoners by any army or any dictator
I don't think that you get his point. You want to bring attention to the plight of someone - that's fine. Complaining about what others choose to read or post because you think that this is more important is pointless.

Likes HossamCFD
Astronuc said:
Apparently the looming execution of Ali Al-Nimr has sparked a global outcry to prevent his murder.

Per your sources, to prevent his "execution", which I would call cruel and unusual, but may or may not also be murder depending on whether or not a deliberate corruption of justice was done. The surface details and Saudia Arabia's history suggests justice was corrupted.

The US addresses human rights abuses of foreign countries via the Dept of State. The DoS has long published condemnations of Saudi practices. The most recent statement is long and includes these relevant sections:

a. Arbitrary or Unlawful Deprivation of Life
b. Disappearance
c. Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman, or Degrading Treatment or Punishment

http://www.state.gov/j/drl/rls/hrrpt/2014/nea/236620.htm

Astronuc said:
I would imagine his father is in a better position to ask for clemency.
Given that his father is Shiite, I doubt his appeal would carry too much weight.
On the other hand, the execution could backfire and spark protests in the Shia minority, something the monarchy would want to avoid.

I hope the king doesn't sign the execution order.

On a different but related note, prince Majed Al-Saud arrested in LA for allegedly forcing a female worker to perform a sex act.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-saudi-prince-arrest-beverly-hills-20150924-story.html
I bet the prince is glad the US doesn't apply Sharia, otherwise he would've been stoned to death (if he's married).

naima said:

God, I hate inane reasonings like this. Horrible things happen every day. Every single day. Have you posted a thread for every horrible thing that happened? For every execution in China? For every woman raped in Brazil (just naming a random country)? Of course not.

I know horrible things happen all over the world. There is nothing I can do about it. If I could do anything about it, I would in a heartbeat. But I can't. So I try not to think about it because otherwise it would make me feel horrible and I already feel depressed enough in my life. So please get off your high horse.

Likes lisab
naima said:
Our french president asked saudi authorities to stop that. What did Obama say or did not say?

That joke is not directed towards women in Saudi Arabia, it's just an attempt to mock the country's anti-women laws.I don't think PF is in a position powerful enough to influence world affairs to the extent you are expecting it to, whether or not Obama said anything is in no way related to PF , PF doesn't have a say in the foreign policy of any country, plenty of terrible things that are happening in the world are under discussion here.

naima said:
Saudi Arabia beheaded more peoples that Isis.
How do you know this?

This is indeed a tragic case and we should do something to support Ali-Al-Nimr.

As citizens of our respective countries, the only recourse we have is to write letters to our gov't representatives and ask them to intervene.

Also some people have established petition drives that can perhaps influence the President that this is an important issue to address.

Chang.org has this petition for Ali:

https://www.change.org/p/king-abdul...-stop-the-crucifixion-of-ali-mohammed-al-nimr

and more importantly the Presidential We The People petition site:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/negotiate-release-ali-mohammed-al-nimr

So perhaps the best course of action is for those interested in this cause to publicize it along with the links to the petition site in the hopes that enough people will sign up and the President per his promise will investigate and try to intercede.

We also have to remember the difficulties here where each country tends not to take advice from other countries in their local affairs. I can cite the various US states with death penalty cases where some foreign dignitary speaks out against an execution or contacts the state's governor for clemency that have failed. Or when the US has condemned some countries treatment of US citizens and has been ignored.

I appreciate everyone's contribution here and suggest the thread now be closed and those of us who feel strongly about this go out, sign both petitions and spread the word on other social sites like Facebook (via the share option).

Be aware that you will be hit with many types of comments some very ugly and that very few people will actually share it with others. But if you can get 100,000 to sign the Presidential petition then perhaps you'll get President Obama to step forward .

One other area is if you know someone of influence, an aunt, uncle or cousin... that you can mention this to. They may have some insight as to how to proceed.

-- Jedi

What is the case of Ali Al-Nimr and why is he going to be crucified?

The case of Ali Al-Nimr gained international attention in 2012 when he was arrested at the age of 17 for participating in anti-government protests in Saudi Arabia. He was charged with a range of offenses, including attacking police, breaking allegiance to the ruler, and using his cell phone to incite demonstrations. The exact reason for his sentence of crucifixion has not been disclosed, but it is believed to be related to his involvement in the protests.

What is the legal process that led to Ali Al-Nimr's sentence?

Ali Al-Nimr's case went through the Saudi Arabian criminal justice system, which is based on Islamic law. He was tried in a closed court without access to a lawyer and was sentenced to death by crucifixion. His case was then sent to the Court of Appeal, where his sentence was upheld. The final decision was made by the Supreme Court of Saudi Arabia, which has a history of supporting the government's actions.

What has been the international response to Ali Al-Nimr's case?

The international community has condemned the sentence of crucifixion for Ali Al-Nimr and has called for his release. Human rights organizations have raised concerns about the lack of due process and the use of capital punishment for non-violent offenses. Governments, including the United States, have also expressed their disapproval, but the Saudi government has not budged on their decision.

What are the potential consequences of Ali Al-Nimr's sentence?

If Ali Al-Nimr's sentence is carried out, he will be executed by crucifixion, which involves beheading followed by public display of the body on a cross. This form of punishment is considered one of the most brutal and inhumane methods of execution. Additionally, the international community has warned that this case could lead to further unrest and damage the already strained relations between Saudi Arabia and other countries.

Is there anything that can be done to help Ali Al-Nimr?

There are ongoing efforts by human rights organizations and activists to bring attention to Ali Al-Nimr's case and put pressure on the Saudi government to overturn his sentence. Some governments have also been using diplomatic channels to advocate for his release. However, the ultimate decision lies with the Saudi government, and it is uncertain if these efforts will be successful in saving Ali Al-Nimr's life.