Does a Soul's Existence Differentiate Between Being Dead and Nonexistent?

• Thread starter Whitestar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Existence
In summary, the difference between being not alive and not existing is that when we die, our bodies continue to exist but we, as individuals, have ceased to exist. The concept of "existence" was created by philosophers in the Middle Ages to discuss the nature of God, and the question of whether a soul exists must be addressed before further discussion can be had.
Whitestar
What is the difference between being not alive and not existing? That is, does a dead body exist?

Whitestar

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is a great question. The answer I think is simply, we are not our bodies. When we die, our dead body exists, but we are dead (we have ceased to exist but our bodies continue to exist). But what is this "we" that died, and stopped existing if it's not the body? I cannot see any difference between being unconscious, and ceasing to exist.

As far as I am aware, the word "existence" was coigned by Mid-Age phylosphers to be able to discuss about the properties of God.

The question must first state whether a soul exists or not.

Related to Does a Soul's Existence Differentiate Between Being Dead and Nonexistent?

1. What is the difference between "alive" and "existence"?

Alive refers to the state of being physically living or having the ability to grow and develop. Existence, on the other hand, refers to the state of something or someone simply being present or existing in the world.

2. Can something be alive without existing?

No, in order for something to be considered alive, it must also exist. Living organisms have physical bodies and are present in the world.

3. Is there a philosophical difference between "alive" and "existence"?

Yes, there is a philosophical difference between the two terms. Alive is often associated with the concept of life, while existence is more closely related to the concept of being.

4. Can something exist without being alive?

Yes, there are many things that can exist without being considered alive. This includes inanimate objects, concepts, and ideas.

5. How do we determine if something is alive or simply existing?

There are several criteria that can help determine if something is alive or simply existing. These include the ability to grow and develop, the presence of certain biological processes, and the ability to respond to stimuli.