All of these numbers have 3 significant figures right?

In summary, in the conversation, the concept of significant figures was discussed. It was determined that 12.5 and 105 have three significant figures, while 100.00 and 2.5 x 10^3 have five and two significant figures, respectively. Additionally, it was mentioned that zeros at the beginning of a number are not significant, while zeros at the end may be significant if the number contains a decimal point.
Power of One
2.5 x 10^3

All of these numbers have 3 significant figures right?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No, 12.5 and 105 have three significant figures. Look at the other two again

The last one is two sf, three would be 2.50 x10^3

105 is 3sig fig

mgb_phys said:
The last one is two sf, three would be 2.50 x10^3

105 is 3sig fig

I caught that shortly after, thank you.

@pzona- Doesn't 100.00 only have two significant figures, the 1 and the two zeros after the decimal point?

Power of One said:
I caught that shortly after, thank you.

@pzona- Doesn't 100.00 only have two significant figures, the 1 and the two zeros after the decimal point?

100.00 is written to indicate significance to the hundredths place. The number has five significant figures. (from locations of places Hundreds to Hundredths).

The way I learned sig figs, there were 3 main rules.

1. Zeros between nonzero digits are always significant (1001, 304)
2. Zeros at the beginning of a number are never significant (0.001, 0.026)
3. Zeros at the end of a number are significant if the number contains a decimal point (e.g. 100.00)

These are pretty easy to remember, and I still find myself going through them in my head every time I need to count significant figures. Hopefully this helps.

1. What are significant figures?

Significant figures are the digits in a number that are considered to be accurate and reliable. They are used to indicate the precision of a measurement or calculation.

2. How do I determine the number of significant figures in a number?

To determine the number of significant figures in a number, follow these rules:

• Non-zero digits are always significant.
  • Any zeros between two significant digits are also significant.
  • Leading zeros (zeros to the left of the first non-zero digit) are not significant.
  • Trailing zeros (zeros to the right of the last non-zero digit) are only significant if there is a decimal point present.

3. Why are significant figures important in science?

Significant figures are important in science because they help convey the accuracy and precision of measurements and calculations. They also ensure that data is reported in a consistent and meaningful way.

4. Can significant figures be rounded?

Yes, significant figures can be rounded to a certain number of digits to match the least precise measurement or calculation used in the calculation. When rounding, follow the rules for significant figures to determine the correct number of digits.

5. How do significant figures affect calculations?

Significant figures affect calculations by limiting the precision of the final answer. When performing calculations, the final answer should contain the same number of significant figures as the least precise value used in the calculation.