Finding Solutions for 2x < 8: A Scientific Approach

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding all values of x for which the inequality 2x < 8 holds true for natural numbers. Various methods are suggested, including trial and error, using properties of numbers, and proving by induction. It is noted that proving the function 2x is an increasing function on natural numbers is a direct way to solve the problem.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Find all x for which 2x < 8 (where x is a natural number).

Homework Equations

Those pesky 12 properties.

The Attempt at a Solution

This could be done by simply testing values of x, but that approach is not very scalable. What is the correct way to start this (using only the basic properties of numbers)? What is Spivak looking for? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's easy to find all x for which this holds by trial-and-error. Then prove that any other (larger) values of x give > instead of <.

A. Bahat said:
It's easy to find all x for which this holds by trial-and-error. Then prove that any other (larger) values of x give > instead of <.

As I said, I was wondering if there was another way. Trial and error doesn't seem very 'proofy' to me.

Saladsamurai said:
As I said, I was wondering if there was another way. Trial and error doesn't seem very 'proofy' to me.

I don't know the pesky 12 properties. But try writing it as 2^x<2^3. Any pesky properties to help with that?

Dick said:
I don't know the pesky 12 properties. But try writing it as 2^x<2^3. Any pesky properties to help with that?

12 Properties. But really, any number that makes you happy. I'm not really sure what to do with this. There is no basic property that says that i can bring down the exponents. This problem doesn't really matter in the long run, I was just curious as to what Spivak expects me to do with it.

I think Dick's hint is spot on. I think his approach is what Spivak expected. Can you see what to do next?

Dick's hint seems good, but if you can show by exhaustion that some x > some other number doesn't work, well, exhaustion is infact a valid proof. See, four color theorem.

Prove that the function 2x is an increasing function on the natural numbers directly: if f(x)=2x, show that f(x)<f(x+1) for all x. Then it's clear that 2x<23 if and only if x<3

Hello folks :smile:

@Office_Shredder: Is that induction? That is next chapter, so I wanted to hold off on that.

@Joriss: So when there is a contradiction, exhaustion is acceptable proof, but if there is no contradiction, hen it is not. Is that a true statement>

@DivisionByZro: Unfortunately, no. the only thing I can think to do with that is to write out what 2^x and 2^3 means:

2x < 23

2*2 x-number-of-times < 2*2 3-times

is that what you mean?

Saladsamurai said:
Hello folks :smile:
@Joriss: So when there is a contradiction, exhaustion is acceptable proof, but if there is no contradiction, hen it is not. Is that a true statement>
=
No, exhaustion works for contradictions or when there are finite number of possibilities. I didn't say exhaustion is a good route here, just that when applicable it is a legitimate proof (which, if you already knew, my bad :)).

1. What does the inequality 2^x < 8 mean?

The inequality 2^x < 8 means that we are looking for all possible values of x for which 2 raised to the power of x is less than 8.

2. How can we solve this inequality?

To solve this inequality, we can use logarithms. Taking the logarithm of both sides of the inequality will allow us to isolate the variable x and find the solution set.

3. What is the solution set for this inequality?

The solution set for 2^x < 8 is x < 3, meaning that all values of x that are less than 3 will satisfy the inequality.

4. Can we use any other methods to solve this inequality?

Yes, we can also use the properties of exponents to solve this inequality. However, using logarithms is the most efficient and straightforward method.

5. How can we graph the solution set for this inequality?

We can graph the solution set by plotting all values of x that are less than 3 on a number line, and shading the area to the left of the point 3 on the number line to represent the solution set.