Alternating acceleration understanding ?

• Thread starter khurram usman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, alternating current (AC) involves a progressive wave of energy transfer in a closed circuit, where the direction and magnitude of the current changes in a sine wave pattern. This allows for the continuous supply of energy without the need for a constant flow of electrons. AC also causes light fixtures to flicker at a frequency too fast for our eyes to detect.
khurram usman
alternating acceleration understanding...?

i have a basic understanding of this topic...i understand this thing when it is explained using a closed rectangular circuit in books...it is easy to imagine that in a small closed circuit the current first flows in one direction then in the other.
but i could not understand how can alternating current reach our homes ...i mean first we say that in one direction and after half a time period it moves in the other...so in a sense it should reach back its starting point...kindly explain this and improve my understanding
someone told me to view this as a progressive wave/transfer of energy...where energy goes from one maximum to other maximum...but what i don't uinderstand is how and when it changes it direction?
secondly i remeber someone telling me that a AC bulb blinks about 60 times in a minute...but obviously our eye can't detect that...now if i assume that progressive wave concept which i don't clealy undrstand how is this explained?
thirdly the alternating voltage will cause the current to alternate ...that is its direction and magnitude both change(since its a sine wave)then doesn't this magnitude changing affect the appliances...i mean why don't tube lights and bulbs glow sometimes brightly and sometimes dimly?
please provide me an explanation and a physical interpretation of these concepts

Physics news on Phys.org

Think of it like this, me pushing a rod(electrons) into you to supply you with energy (DC), or me pushing and pulling the rod(electrons) to and from you (AC). While I would run out of rod(electrons) eventually by only pushing it to you(DC), this would not happen if I pushed it and pulled it(AC). Instead, I just have to provide the energy in pushing and pulling, and not a supply of electrons. It is the potential in the circuit which is usable energy, and alternating that potential allows you to do work, without having any 'net' flow of electrons.

And yes things like light fixtures running off AC flicker at a frequency of either 60hz or 120hz, i forget which. Its too fast for our eyes to detect, but when you record an old school monitor with an older camera, you will see that it is flickering and doing strange things that we don't notice.

1. What is alternating acceleration?

Alternating acceleration refers to a change in the rate of acceleration over time. It involves a back-and-forth motion, where the object being accelerated speeds up and slows down in a repeating pattern.

2. How is alternating acceleration different from constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration occurs when the rate of change in velocity is consistent and does not vary over time. Alternating acceleration, on the other hand, involves a changing rate of acceleration, resulting in a non-uniform motion.

3. What are some real-life examples of alternating acceleration?

Some examples of alternating acceleration include the motion of a pendulum, the movement of a roller coaster, and the swinging of a child on a swing. These all involve back-and-forth motion, with changes in acceleration.

4. How is alternating acceleration calculated?

To calculate the average acceleration for an object with alternating acceleration, you would use the formula: average acceleration = (change in velocity) / (change in time). However, for more complex cases, calculus may be needed to find the exact acceleration at a given point in time.

5. How does understanding alternating acceleration help in the field of science?

Understanding alternating acceleration is essential in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It allows us to analyze and predict the motion of objects in real-world scenarios, and it is also crucial in the development of technologies and machines that involve back-and-forth motion.