Alternating current wave prob

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the approximate RMS voltage of a sinusoidal alternating current wave. The horizontal and vertical divisions are given and the question asks for help in solving the problem. The expert recommends using the Vpp measurement to calculate the RMS voltage.
Rasine
alternating current wave prob...

assume the wave is sinusoidal. suppose that each horizontal division (13) represents 1.0 ns and that each vertical division (11) represents 1 mV. what is the approx. rms voltage?

please help me solve this.

i am not so sure how to find rms, and if you do please explain it.

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rasine said:
assume the wave is sinusoidal. suppose that each horizontal division (13) represents 1.0 ns and that each vertical division (11) represents 1 mV. what is the approx. rms voltage?

thank you.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/acres.html#c2

Look at the example for RMS current.

Zz.

Rasine said:

thank you.
Were you trying to post some waveform? 11/13/etc. Whatever. If you want the RMS, just use the Vpp measurement to get you there. Vp= sqrt(2)*Vrms, Vpp = 2*sqrt(2)(Vrms)

EDIT -- If you want a more complete explanation of RMS versus Vpp, we can oblige.

what is the Vp measurement? and how does it related to rms?

What is alternating current?

Alternating current (AC) is a type of electric current that periodically reverses direction. It is commonly used in household and industrial electrical systems.

How does an alternating current wave differ from a direct current wave?

The main difference between alternating current and direct current (DC) is that AC changes direction periodically, while DC flows in only one direction. AC is typically used for transmitting electricity over long distances, while DC is more commonly used in electronic devices.

What is the frequency of an alternating current wave?

The frequency of an alternating current wave is the number of complete cycles it goes through in one second. In the US, the standard frequency for AC is 60 Hz, while in Europe it is 50 Hz.

How is an alternating current wave produced?

An alternating current wave is produced by a device called an alternator, which converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. This conversion process creates a constantly changing magnetic field, which in turn creates the alternating current wave.

What are some advantages of using alternating current?

Alternating current has several advantages over direct current, including the ability to be easily transformed into different voltages, making it more efficient for long-distance transmission. AC also allows for simpler and more cost-effective motor designs, making it the preferred choice for many industrial applications.