Alternative form of the 2nd translation theorem proof

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the alternative form of the 2nd translation theorem of the Laplace transform, which involves the unit step function and the definition of the Laplace transform. The attempt at a solution involves integrating from 0 to infinity and making substitutions, but the person is stuck at the step where they need to use the definition of the Laplace transform.
8bitgrafix
hi guys, this is literally my first post here on physicsforums so i apologize in advance that my latex formatting sucks.

Homework Statement

prove the alternative form of the 2nd translation theorem of the laplace transform:
[itex]L[f(t)u(t-a)]=e^{-sa}L[f(t+a)] [/itex]

where [itex]u(t-a)[/itex] is the unit step function and [tex]L[f(t)]=\int^\infty_0e^{-st}f(t)dt[/tex] is the definition of the laplace transform of [tex]f(x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]L[f(t)u(t-a)]=\int^\infty_0 e^{-st}f(t)u(t-a)\,dt [/itex]
[tex]=\int^a_0 e^{-st}f(t)u(t-a)\,dt + \int^\infty_a e^{-st}f(t)u(t-a)\,dt [/tex]
the first integral is 0 since the unit step function 0 for any t < a, and [tex]u(t-a)=1[/tex] for t >= a so the 2nd integral becomes, [tex]\int^\infty_a e^{-st}f(t)\,dt[/tex]
then since the laplace transform is an integral from 0 to [tex]\infty[/tex] we need to make the substitutions [tex]u = t-a, \ t = u+a,\ du = dt[/tex] to change the lower limit of integration from a to 0. then the integral becomes, [tex]\int^\infty_0 e^{-s(u+a)}f(u+a)\,du[/tex]
then you pull the [tex]e^{-sa}[/tex] outside the integral to give [tex]e^{-sa}\int^\infty_0 e^{-su}f(u+a)\,du[/tex] and this is where I'm stuck. I don't know what to do here since the definition of the laplace transform is [tex]L[f(u)]=\int^\infty_0e^{-su}f(u)du[/tex] and i can't make any more substitutions without changing the limits of integration.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's [itex] L[f(t+a)] [/itex] then?

1. What is the 2nd translation theorem?

The 2nd translation theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a function is integrable over a certain interval, then it is also integrable over any translated interval.

2. What is an alternative form of the 2nd translation theorem proof?

The alternative form of the 2nd translation theorem proof is a different way of proving the same theorem using different mathematical techniques and approaches.

3. Why is an alternative form of the proof useful?

An alternative form of the proof can provide a different perspective and understanding of the theorem, as well as offering different insights and applications.

4. Can the alternative form of the proof be easier to understand?

It is possible that the alternative form of the proof may be easier for some individuals to understand, as it may use different mathematical concepts or techniques that are more familiar to them.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using the alternative form of the proof?

One potential drawback of using the alternative form of the proof is that it may be less widely known or accepted, leading to potential confusion or difficulty in communicating the proof to others.