Alternative to MCNP for modeling alpha particles?

In summary: If you're not familiar with any of them, a good place to start would be the free online resources at http://www.codecademy.com and http://www.learncodecollege.com.
markL09
I am a masters student in the UK. For my project I have to monitor the efficiency of zinc sulphide detectors for monitoring alpha particles in liquid solutions. I need to model things like the proximity of the detector to the liquid, the size of the detector and the thickness of the light-tight foil. The models should be fairly basic as the thesis isn't very long (10,000 words).

My university provided me with MCNP 4C, but it cannot model alpha particles. I have applied for a license for version 6.2 but it may take months, so I am looking for alternatives.

I have been told about Geant4 and SRIM/TRIM. I would like to know how difficult it is to learn either of these programmes? I am a novice programmer, but know some basics of MCNP.

As Geant4 is written in C++, will it be too difficult for me to get up and running in a few weeks?
Does SRIM/TRIM have the capabilities for what I need to do?

Thank you in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
markL09 said:
I am a masters student in the UK. For my project I have to monitor the efficiency of zinc sulphide detectors for monitoring alpha particles in liquid solutions. I need to model things like the proximity of the detector to the liquid, the size of the detector and the thickness of the light-tight foil. The models should be fairly basic as the thesis isn't very long (10,000 words).

My university provided me with MCNP 4C, but it cannot model alpha particles. I have applied for a license for version 6.2 but it may take months, so I am looking for alternatives.

I have been told about Geant4 and SRIM/TRIM. I would like to know how difficult it is to learn either of these programmes? I am a novice programmer, but know some basics of MCNP.

As Geant4 is written in C++, will it be too difficult for me to get up and running in a few weeks?
Does SRIM/TRIM have the capabilities for what I need to do?

Thank you in advance
This might help answer one's questions.

AlfaMC: a fast alpha particle transport Monte Carlo code
Luis Peralta, Alina Louro
https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1211/1211.5960.pdf
General purpose Monte Carlo programs as MCNPX, GEANT3, GEANT4 or FLUKA (Agostinelli, 2003; Allison, 2006; GEANT, 1993; MCNPX, 2012; FLUKA, 2012) can simulate the transport and energy loss of alpha particles in matter. They can simulate complex geometries, but their speed is in general low. The state-of-the-art SRIM program (SRIM, 2008; Ziegler, 1985) on the other hand is relatively fast but allows only simple slab geometry. To overcome some of these problems several application specific codes have been developed. Unfortunately, for most of them there is a limited access to the code or even to documentation describing the underlying models.
These days, an aspiring engineer who will do programming (e.g., development of modeling and simulation tools) should probably learn Fortran and C++, and a scripting language like Python. These I hear most often in discussions involving engineering calculations and data processing.

For Geant4, I'd suggest trying some of the tutorials located here:

http://www-public.slac.stanford.edu/geant4/PastEvents.asp

and see how it goes. A few weeks sounds optimistic, but I would also look over the examples packaged with Geant4 and see if there is one that is close to your task. Then you can just modify it to what you need.

I'd second Astronuc's suggestion with regards to Fortran, C++, and Python. I've used pretty much only those three languages throughout my work in nuclear science and engineering.

1. What is MCNP and why would someone look for an alternative?

MCNP (Monte Carlo N-Particle) is a widely used computer code for simulating and analyzing the transport of particles through matter. Someone might look for an alternative if they are seeking a different user interface, more specialized features, or a more user-friendly program.

2. What are some alternative programs to MCNP for modeling alpha particles?

Some alternative programs for modeling alpha particles include GEANT4, FLUKA, and MCAM.

3. How do these alternative programs compare to MCNP?

Each of these programs has its own unique features and strengths. For example, GEANT4 has a more user-friendly interface and is better suited for biomedical applications, while FLUKA has advanced features for simulating radiation effects in materials. MCAM is specifically designed for modeling alpha particles and has a simplified user interface.

4. Which alternative program is the best for modeling alpha particles?

The best program for modeling alpha particles will depend on the specific needs and goals of the researcher. It is recommended to explore the different features and capabilities of each program to determine which one is most suitable for the desired simulation.

5. Are there any open-source alternatives to MCNP for modeling alpha particles?

Yes, both GEANT4 and FLUKA are open-source programs, meaning they are freely available for use and can be modified by users. MCAM also has a free version with limited features.