Am I capable of study theoretical physics in the future?

In summary, it is not required to be gifted in mathematics to understand A-level theoretical physics, and pass exams. However, a natural ability to understand mathematics once learned is a plus. And, more important, you should be eager to learn and fascinated by the subjects you are learning. If you have the enthusiasm, you will build a strong foundation and be able to do well in A-level mathematics.
Student100 said:
Because 130 isn't a gifted IQ, it doesn't mean anything.

Ah well I believe it could measure potential but I do not believe a low IQ means you don't have potential. There is too much emphasis on IQ and not enough on dedication and hard work, I think.

I cannot quote you Nick, my phone is old, but I'll say save the respect for after my graduation dates :) Thank you though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Determinism89 said:
IQ is the single greatest predictor of success in life. It seems to work, if you care about scientific data. I don't know of all these brilliant people of which you speak. I wish they existed, don't get me wrong.

Back up your claims or quit posting.

Determinism89 said:
IQ is the single greatest predictor of success in life.

Do you have a source concerning this? I doubt it very much. Geography and education seem much more important in determining financial and professional success. Other kinds of success have other parameters.

If IQ is the greatest predictor of success in life why are there intelligent, "gifted" people working menial low paying jobs? Why are there successful people that are of more or less average intelligence?

I'm afraid without evidence to support that claim I cannot accept it as factual.

Student100 said:
Back up your claims or quit posting.

Well, it depends on if you consider higher education to be a reflection of success or not. If you do, you have this:

http://www.statisticbrain.com/iq-estimates-by-intended-college-major/

That's how they do on verbal and mathematical questions. The result is the total sum combined. And of course Astronomy/physics trumps everything else.

Determinism89 said:
Well, it depends on if you rate higher education to be a reflection of success or not. If you do, you have this:

http://www.statisticbrain.com/iq-estimates-by-intended-college-major/

That's how they do on verbal and mathematical questions. The result is the total sum combined. And of course Astronomy/physics trumps everything else.

That is not a scientific peer reviewed publication and does not meet the standard of proof or that of the forums. You have no basis for your argument.

Last edited:
The data in that table is* of students entering, not leaving, college. The correlation of IQ and *intended* major (interest!) would back up my view, depending on the trustworthiness of the source.

*I hate "data are", and refuse to use it except in very formal writing.

What is your IQ
This is another thread which you might find interesting. And it looks like you didn't read the first thread I linked
ZapperZ said:
This is a basic fact. I have been a member of the American Physical Society, and also have participated in survey done by the American Institute of Physics. In all those years, the AIP have survey a lot of things (one can look at the statistics report at the AIP page). However, there has NEVER, EVER been a survey or a question asking for IQ scores or number.

Now, this is purely a guess, but I tend to expect that other professional organizations (engineering, etc.) also may not have ever surveyed the IQs of their members. This brings me to two conclusions:

1. Whatever this IQ score is, it is of no relevance, or of little importance, to such professions. So why do we give even a second of our time on this?

2. Any reports comparing IQs of different professions may be based on faulty, non-representative data. After all, if these organizations that represents these professions do not have such data, just how many were used in the survey to arrive at any conclusion?

Zz.

Last edited:
This thread is absolutely pointless so stop wasting your efforts.

WannabeNewton said:

Fair enough. Here's my closing comment:

If you trust our judgment, which you requested, accept it. If not, have a professional proctor an IQ test for you and follow the path dictated by that arbitrary number. We don't know your IQ and can't answer you if that is what matters.

WannabeNewton said:

It's certainly pointless if people seriously hold to the notion that anyone can read theoretical physics. No question ever posed from me would yield an interesting response.

I can submit any question with "yes" attached to it.

Nick O said:
Fair enough. Here's my closing comment:

If you trust our judgment, which you requested, accept it. If not, have a professional proctor an IQ test for you and follow the path dictated by that arbitrary number.

Gosh, people freak out over IQ. It's biased towards people attending school, I don't deny that. "But all else equal" in their educating level, I would say it's probably a good pointer. Not an exact science.

Determinism89 said:
It's certainly pointless if people seriously hold to the notion that anyone can read theoretical physics. No question ever posed from me would yield an interesting response.

I can submit any question with "yes" attached to it.

There is no unique response to your question. Anyone that comes here and asks if it possible for them to study physics will get the same response. We can't reach into your mind and look at your level of interest and commitment. We can, however, shatter misconceptions that prevent many perfectly capable students from ever attempting to try.

Hopefully, this thread won't be completely useless to others that come here.

Student100 said:
There is no unique response to your question. Anyone that comes here and asks if it possible for them to study physics will get the same response. We can't reach into your mind and look at your level of interest and commitment. We can, however, shatter misconceptions that prevent many perfectly capable students from ever attempting to try.

Hopefully, this thread won't be completely useless to others that come here.

I can't blame you guys for being pessimistic, that's for sure. This thread did influence me positively. I just don't want it to go overboard, so to speak.

Last edited:
Instead of posting here, go pick up a physics book and start reading and see if you can do it.

This thread has more than run its course.