1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I to the end of this Boolean Algebra Problem?

1. Jul 19, 2006 #1
    Here's the problem:

a'b'c'd' + a'b'cd' + a'b'cd + ab'c'd' + abc'd'

I've gotten it down to:
    ac'd' + b'c'd' + a'b'c

Having trouble coming up with a way to simplify it more...Is this as far as it can go?
    Any help appreciated, thanks...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

I did a quick K-map, and got it down to 3 terms, but my terms are different from yours. I got 2 3-terms and one 4-term.

Did you use a Karnaugh map? Where did the ac'd' term come from, for example?
  4. Jul 19, 2006 #3
    I used Boolean Algebra Axioms that I had learned in college to simplify it to the result that I got...

The lines are on the board at work, I'll try to update this thread with them tomorrow from work...

Thanks for the response...
  5. Jul 20, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

I found an error in my quick K-map. I now get the same answer as you. For problems like this with up to 4 inputs, the K-map is the easiest way to see what the simplest answer is. Well, assuming you don't make an error like I did yesterday :blushing:
  6. Jul 20, 2006 #5
    no problem...it happens...thanks for the update...i feel confident about the math, i just wanted it smaller to help out in a query that i was writing...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?