Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Am I to the end of this Boolean Algebra Problem?

1. Jul 19, 2006 #1
    Here's the problem:

a'b'c'd' + a'b'cd' + a'b'cd + ab'c'd' + abc'd'

I've gotten it down to:
    ac'd' + b'c'd' + a'b'c

Having trouble coming up with a way to simplify it more...Is this as far as it can go?
    Any help appreciated, thanks...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I did a quick K-map, and got it down to 3 terms, but my terms are different from yours. I got 2 3-terms and one 4-term.

Did you use a Karnaugh map? Where did the ac'd' term come from, for example?

4. Jul 19, 2006 #3
    I used Boolean Algebra Axioms that I had learned in college to simplify it to the result that I got...

The lines are on the board at work, I'll try to update this thread with them tomorrow from work...

Thanks for the response...

5. Jul 20, 2006 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I found an error in my quick K-map. I now get the same answer as you. For problems like this with up to 4 inputs, the K-map is the easiest way to see what the simplest answer is. Well, assuming you don't make an error like I did yesterday :blushing:

6. Jul 20, 2006 #5
    no problem...it happens...thanks for the update...i feel confident about the math, i just wanted it smaller to help out in a query that i was writing...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook