Science Advisor
- 124
- 0
My reply to Lubos can be found at the this entry of the.String Coffee Table.
Originally posted by Urs
My reply to Lubos can be found at the this entry of the.String Coffee Table.
Originally posted by lumidek
Let me summarize a small part of his fundamental errors again. He believes many very incorrect ideas, for example that...
...Once again, all these things are wrong, much like nearly all of his
conclusions (and completely all "new" conclusions).
...Every time one can calculate something that gives them an
interesting but inconvenient result, they claim that in fact we don't need to calculate it, and it might be ambiguous, and so on. No, this is not what we can call science...
...There are hundreds of people who understand the quantization of a free string very well, and they can judge whether Thiemann's paper is
reasonable or not and whether funding of this "new kind of science"
should continue.
[from the next post]
...It’s just sad. Ignorance about the basics of quantum field theory should not be sold as a "new, revolutionary proposal in physics", and every student in theoretical physics should be able to identify the errors in papers similar to Thiemann's paper.
Originally posted by Urs
Hi Marcus -
... when composing messages I am not disturbed by a pack of smileys sitting next to the editor pane staring at me and doing weird things! ;-)
Originally posted by eforgy
If I hazard a speculative dive bomb, I wonder if there could be made any sense out of the diagram
point particles -> Poisson bracket
strings++ -> Nambu bracket.
Kind of like p-form electromagnetism.
I'm wondering if the "unresolved" problem of quantizing Nambu mechanics has actually been completed already, but it is called "string theory."
Is there a chance I am making any sense at all? I doubt it, but I thought I'd bring it up.
Cheers,
Eric
Originally posted by jeff
eforgy,
Generally I don't complain about off topic posts, but I'm making an exception in this case.
Originally posted by eforgy
Hi Jeff,
I thought the issue of Poisson brackets and commutators was sort of on topic and was one of the cruxes of Lubos' post.
I can't help but think that Nambu mechanics and its quantization is somehow relevant here. I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.
I apologize for the "beer" comment, but I was somewhat excited to see that my instinct wasn't too far off the mark.
There is certainly a lot of interesting things going on here and I'm looking forward to following along (more quietly).
Eric Forgy, Ph.D.
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
PS: If any of the experts have any words to say about this Nambu perspective, I'd very much appreciate it.
Originally posted by ranyart
Abay Ashtekar has a number of recent papers, with a good insight to the development of Hamiltonian methods
Originally posted by ranyart
...a new 'space-time' perception is emerging and it great!
Originally posted by jeff
Right. Early in thiemann's paper on p3 he says:
"...by definition we only consider representations without Virasoro and
Lorentz anomalies, the central charge is zero by definition."
Just to be clear, you do agree that it's fair to view this as basically ground zero of thiemann's disaster?
Originally posted by Urs
It would be tempting to conclude that all these LQG constructions are nothing but a proof by counterexample that nature does not want to be quantized on non-seperable Hilbert spaces. :-)
Originally posted by Urs
It is an interesting quetsion how much freedom one has in LQG to change the inner product. Since full LQG is too complex for me I'd like to concentrate on the toy example that Thiemann provides. He is also discussing 'networks' on the string. How would your proposal apply there?
Indeed, there is (maybe, says Thiemann) a huge amount of freedom in choosing the scalar product in the LQG framework, since it depends on that functional omega. But apparently some natural requirements strongly restrict the possible omega again.
Originally posted by eforgy
From my understanding via conversations with Professor Baez on spr, there are two "schools" on LQG: the northern school and the southern school.
Originally posted by eforgy
Hi Urs,
quote:
---------
Originally posted by Urs
It would be tempting to conclude that all these LQG constructions are nothing but a proof by counterexample that nature does not want to be quantized on non-seperable Hilbert spaces. :-)
---------
To hear you say this does not bode well for LQG. You are always pretty impartial :)
...discrete Hodge star (which I have been trying to get them to do for ages). I think that our joint work might come to play here:
Discrete Differential Geometry on n-Diamond Complexes
Eric Forgy and Urs Schreiber
http://www-stud.uni-essen.de/~sb0264/p4a.pdf
In other words, I think that LQG as formulated now is sick because of their choice of inner product (leading to non separable Hilbert space). However, I don't think that (if true) would be the death knell for LQG. They would just need to consider alternative Hilbert spaces. Our work provides one such option for them.
Eric [/B]