Ambiguity in finding errors using natural logarithm method

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct formula for calculating the error in a function involving several independent variables, as well as the individual's attempt at solving the equation. The conversation also touches on sign errors and finding resources in a different language.
AdrianMachin

Homework Statement

[/B]
I was reviewing this stuff and although I excelled at it once, I seem to forget some of it.
For example, please consider this:

Homework Equations

[itex]R_C=\frac {R_1R_2} {R_1+R_2} + R_3[/itex]

Here's the correct formula for its error:

[itex]\Delta R_C=\frac {R_1R_2} {R_1+R_2} \left[ \frac {\Delta R_1} {R_1} +\frac {\Delta R_2} {R_2}
+\frac {\Delta R_1 + \Delta R_2} {R_1+R_2}\right] + \Delta R_3[/itex]

While mine would be this and I don't know what happened to the [itex]\Delta R_3[/itex] in the formula above:

[itex]\Delta R_C=\frac {R_1R_2} {R_1+R_2} \left[ \frac {\Delta R_1} {R_1} +\frac {\Delta R_2} {R_2}
+\frac {\Delta R_1 + \Delta R_2} {R_1+R_2} + \frac {\Delta R_3} {R_3}\right][/itex]

Another equation is:

[itex]I_1=\frac {R_3V_1+R_2(V_1+V_2)} {R_1R_2+R_2R_3+R_3R_1}[/itex]

Which I don't know the correct solution to finding its error, but here's my attempt at a solution:

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\Delta I_1= I_1 \left[ \frac {\Delta R_3 \Delta V_1+\Delta R_2 \Delta V_1+ \Delta R_2 \Delta V_2} {R_3V_1 + R_2(V_1+V_2)} + \frac {\Delta R_1 \Delta R_2+ \Delta R_2 \Delta R_3+ \Delta R_3 \Delta R_1} {R_1R_2+R_2R_3+R_3R_1}\right] [/itex]

Is this correct, if not, why?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For random errors in R1, R2 and R3,
in general dF(x,y,z) = ∂F/∂x dx + ∂F/∂y dy + ∂F/∂z dz
where x, y and z are independent variables.
Apply this to your F(R1,R2,R3).
Fractional error is dF/F.

AdrianMachin said:
Here's the correct formula for its error:
Are you sure? I think it has a sign error.
AdrianMachin said:
While mine would be this
I have no idea how you end up with the ΔR3 inside the bracket.
AdrianMachin said:
, if not, why?
Impossible to say without seeing your working.

haruspex said:
Are you sure? I think it has a sign error.
Well, as far as I know, I heard that we don't have any negative signs in error equations... I mean between the delta terms.

haruspex said:
I have no idea how you end up with the ΔR3 inside the bracket.
How can I brush up on this topic? I'm studying in a different language than English so I can't find English resources for this topic on the Internet. What is this topic called in English textbooks or on the internet? I'm not sure if I do the beginnings right.

AdrianMachin said:
How can I brush up on this topic? I'm studying in a different language than English so I can't find English resources for this topic on the Internet. What is this topic called in English textbooks or on the internet? I'm not sure if I do the beginnings right.
Browse "error propagation".
Calculating the absolute error of a function of several independent variables, F(x, y, z...) take the partial derivatives, multiply each with its error and add the absolute values, or add the squares and take the square root of the sum.
The relative error is (ΔF)/F.
In case of multiplication or division, you can add the individual errors, in case of other function you need to determine the partial derivatives.

Likes AdrianMachin
AdrianMachin said:
Well, as far as I know, I heard that we don't have any negative signs in error equations... I mean between the delta terms.How can I brush up on this topic? I'm studying in a different language than English so I can't find English resources for this topic on the Internet. What is this topic called in English textbooks or on the internet? I'm not sure if I do the beginnings right.
Posts #2 and #5 have explained how to figure out the expressions. Follow those and post your working.

Likes AdrianMachin

What is ambiguity in finding errors using natural logarithm method?

Ambiguity in finding errors using natural logarithm method refers to the difficulty in determining the exact value of an error when using the natural logarithm method for calculations. This is because the method involves taking the logarithm of values, which can result in a loss of precision and make it challenging to pinpoint the exact error.

Why is ambiguity a problem in using the natural logarithm method?

Ambiguity can be problematic in the natural logarithm method because it can lead to imprecise calculations and inaccurate results. This can be particularly concerning in scientific research where precision and accuracy are crucial.

How can ambiguity be minimized in using the natural logarithm method?

One way to minimize ambiguity in using the natural logarithm method is by using larger values for calculations. This can help reduce the loss of precision caused by taking the logarithm of small values. Additionally, using alternative methods for error determination, such as the Taylor series method, can also help minimize ambiguity.

Are there any alternatives to using the natural logarithm method for error determination?

Yes, there are several alternative methods for error determination, such as the Taylor series method, linear regression, and Monte Carlo simulation. These methods may provide more accurate and less ambiguous results depending on the specific application.

How can ambiguity in finding errors using natural logarithm method affect scientific research?

Ambiguity in finding errors using natural logarithm method can have a significant impact on scientific research. It can lead to incorrect conclusions and hinder the progress of research. Therefore, it is essential to carefully consider the potential for ambiguity and use alternative methods when necessary to ensure accurate and precise results.