Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ambiguity of electrostatic polarization?

1. Jun 3, 2012 #1

Jano L.

Gold Member

Hello everybody,

I have a doubt about the section of the Wikipedia page on the polarization:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarization_density

especially the section in the end where the writer claims the polarization is ambiguous.

In the example about Alice, the writer states that the pairing of +/- particles is ambiguous and hence the polarization is ambiguous. I think he incorrectly interprets the meaning of the polarization.

The writer even states that Alice can back up her strange pairing procedure by ascribing the crystal surface a non-zero density of (free!) charge. This is ridiculous. The crystal is a dielectric and there is no free charge. All polarization comes from displacements of the bound charges. There will be only bound surface charge.

I think the proper way to define the polarization of the crystal at [itex]\mathbf x [/itex] is to average the dipole moments of the smallest neutral cells k hitting the averaging volume V, which is centred at [itex]\mathbf x[/itex]. The polarization is then

[tex]
    \mathbf P(\mathbf x) = \frac{1}{V} \sum_k \mathbf \mu_k
    [/tex]

What do you think - is not this unambiguous definition?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted