Solve Year 8 AMC Question: Find the Highest Number

• Thread starter asdfghjklqqww
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
Largest number is 37.In summary, the conversation was about a difficult question from the Year Eight AMC, where the task was to find the highest number in a list of twelve numbers that follow a specific pattern. The correct answer was 37, which was found by solving a recurrence equation. The person initially guessed 47, but later found out the correct answer.
asdfghjklqqww
AMC Question HARD!

While doing the Year Eight AMC (Australian Maths Competition), I came across this diffucult question...
(By the way, this isn't homework :P)

"I have a list of twelve numbers. The first number is 1 and the last number is 12. Each of the numbers is one more than the average of its neighbours. What is the heighest number on the list?"

It was an open answered question, and I couldn't work it out, so with seconds to spare, I guessed the number 47.

This is most likely wrong, so what is the actual answer?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Your numbers are (I omit the calculations, but you can verify the answer is correct)

[tex]a_n=1+12n-n^2\qquad n=0,1,\dots,10,11[/tex]

So

a_0=1
a_1=12
a_2=21
a_3=28
a_4=33
a_5=36
a_6=37
a_7=36
a_8=33
a_9=28
a_10=21
a_11=12

You was wrong, largest number is 37.

You may just write out the recurrence equation and solve it yourself:

[tex] a_n = \frac{a_{n+1}+a_{n-1}}{2} +1[/tex]

[tex]a_1=1[/tex]

[tex]a_{12}=12[/tex]

The solution is:

[tex]a_n = -n^2 + 14 n -12[/tex]

1. How do I find the highest number in an AMC question?

To find the highest number in an AMC question, you will need to carefully read and understand the given problem. Identify the numbers mentioned in the question and compare them to determine which one is the highest. Sometimes, it may also be helpful to list the numbers in order from highest to lowest.

2. Is there a specific method or formula to solve these types of questions?

No, there is no specific method or formula to solve these types of questions. It will depend on the given problem and how you approach it. However, understanding basic mathematical concepts and practicing problem-solving techniques can help you in finding the highest number in AMC questions.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the highest number?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the highest number in an AMC question. However, it is important to note that calculators are not allowed in some AMC competitions, so it is best to practice solving problems without one as well.

4. Are there any tips or tricks to quickly identify the highest number in a question?

One tip for quickly identifying the highest number in a question is to look for keywords such as "highest," "greatest," or "maximum" in the question. These words can give you a clue that the problem is asking for the highest number. Additionally, you can also look for patterns or relationships between the numbers given in the question.

5. How can I check my answer to make sure I found the highest number correctly?

To check your answer, you can plug in the numbers you identified as the highest into the given problem and see if it makes sense. You can also ask a friend or teacher to solve the problem and compare your answer to theirs. Practice and careful attention to detail can also help you improve your accuracy in finding the highest number in AMC questions.