American student going to UK for PhD.

In summary, the conversation is about a student looking for PhD opportunities in optics and applied optics, specifically in the UK. They are unsure about the degree they need to obtain in the US in order to qualify for a PhD program in the UK, as well as the funding and stipend options available for international students. They are also asking for recommendations for UK schools with a cold atomic vapor research group. Another person responds, mentioning a website for finding PhD opportunities with funding options available to non-EU students.
dmriser
Hi,

I am entering my last year of the BS in Physics program. I am looking at graduate schools around the US for PhD opportunities in optics and applied optics.

I have never had the time to travel and I would love to go to the UK for a PhD. I am having a tough time understanding the system and what degree I would need to obtain here in order to enter a PhD program in the UK. Here's what I have gathered:

- a typical 4 year degree program ends with a masters degree
- a phd doesn't require coursework

I am also wondering about stipends and funding, as this would be necessary for me to live. In the US i know that graduate students are often given TA jobs and paid as well as given health insurance in some cases.

Somebody please help me out or point me toward a good resource where I can educate myself!

P.S. Does anyone know a UK school with a cold atomic vapor research group?

Thank you,
David

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know anything about the physics departments over here because I'm not a Physicist and I'm not a PhD student ( I've actually just finished the first year of an undergrad degree ), what I do know however is that there is virtually no full PhD funding for internationals over here.You can still get a TA or RA post and get money to help you maintain yourself though.

Thank you for the reply, and good luck on your degree

Use "www.findaphd.com" - I saw funding at QMUL for some applied physics PhD. Was available to non-EU students too.

I actually found this website here.

Hi David,

Congratulations on entering your last year of the BS in Physics program! Pursuing a PhD in a different country can be a very exciting and enriching experience. I can understand your interest in the UK and I am happy to provide some information and guidance to help you with your decision.

Firstly, it is important to note that the education system in the UK is different from the US. In the UK, a typical undergraduate program is usually three years and ends with a Bachelor's degree. A Master's degree is typically obtained in one year of further study after completing the Bachelor's degree. However, some universities may offer integrated Bachelor's and Master's programs which can be completed in four years. A PhD in the UK usually takes three to four years and does not require coursework. Instead, the focus is on research and completing a thesis.

In terms of funding, most UK universities offer stipends and funding for PhD students, similar to the US. This can include a stipend for living expenses and may also cover tuition fees. You can research specific universities and their funding options on their websites or reach out to their admissions offices for more information.

One helpful resource for international students is the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website. They have a section specifically for US students and provide information on visas, funding, and studying in the UK. You can also reach out to individual universities for more information on their specific requirements and funding options.

As for your interest in cold atomic vapor research in the UK, I suggest researching universities that have strong research programs in this field. Some universities that come to mind are the University of Oxford, the University of Cambridge, and Imperial College London. However, there may be other universities that also have research groups in this area, so make sure to thoroughly research your options.

I hope this information helps you in your decision-making process. Best of luck with your future studies!

Sincerely,

1. How do I apply for a PhD program in the UK as an American student?

As an American student, you will need to research and identify potential PhD programs in the UK that align with your research interests. Once you have identified a program, you can follow their specific application process, which typically includes submitting an online application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement.

2. Do I need to take any standardized tests to apply for a PhD program in the UK?

Many PhD programs in the UK do not require standardized tests such as the GRE or GMAT. However, some programs may require a specific test related to your field of study, such as the UK Clinical Aptitude Test for medical programs. It is important to research the requirements of each program you are interested in.

3. How much does it cost for an American student to pursue a PhD in the UK?

The cost of a PhD program in the UK can vary depending on the university and program. However, as an American student, you may be eligible for funding opportunities, such as scholarships or research grants. It is important to research and consider all potential costs, including tuition, living expenses, and travel, when deciding to pursue a PhD in the UK.

4. Will my American undergraduate degree be recognized in the UK for a PhD program?

Yes, most UK universities recognize and accept American undergraduate degrees for entry into PhD programs. However, it is important to confirm with the specific university and program you are interested in to ensure they accept your degree.

5. Can I work while pursuing a PhD in the UK as an American student?

As an American student, you may be eligible to work while pursuing your PhD in the UK. However, the number of hours you are allowed to work may be limited and may depend on your visa status. It is important to research and understand the work restrictions for your specific visa and program before seeking employment.