Amount of charge stored by thin conductive plate

In summary, the dielectric constant of the conductive coating would affect the amount of charge that can be stored in the capacitance of the structure.
AlexVI
I have 10mm thick film with dielectric constant of 3. Let’s say surface area of the film is 50 ft2. On the surface of the film I will deposit thin conductive layers with different resistivity. On the first sample of the film I will deposit thin layer with the sheet resistance of 10 ohm/in^2. On the second sample - 100 ohm/in^2 and third sample 1000 ohm/in^2. How does resistivity of deposited layers will affect the amount of charge that this structure can store if I use it in two electrode configuration where this structure is connected to a negative terminal and thin metal plate (with the same surface area) parallel to the structure is connected to positive terminal.

Physics news on Phys.org
AlexVI said:
I have 10mm thick film with dielectric constant of 3. Let’s say surface area of the film is 50 ft2. On the surface of the film I will deposit thin conductive layers with different resistivity. On the first sample of the film I will deposit thin layer with the sheet resistance of 10 ohm/in^2. On the second sample - 100 ohm/in^2 and third sample 1000 ohm/in^2. How does resistivity of deposited layers will affect the amount of charge that this structure can store if I use it in two electrode configuration where this structure is connected to a negative terminal and thin metal plate (with the same surface area) parallel to the structure is connected to positive terminal.
Welcome to the PF. I wouldn't think the resistivity would affect the amount of charge storage. Q=CV should still hold, IMO. The resistivity would just limit how quickly you can store the charge in the capacitance...

Thank you.
Conductive coating that I'm using is doped tin oxide. Undoped tin oxide is a dielectric with K of 9.8. It's probably lower for doped material. In theory I'm adding a layer of dielectric on the top of dielectric film. This should after the capacitance because of series capacitance of two dielectrics K=K1*K2/(K1+K2). Does it make sense?

1. What is the definition of "amount of charge" in this context?

In this context, "amount of charge" refers to the quantity of electric charge that is stored on a thin conductive plate. This can be measured in coulombs (C) and is a measure of the excess or deficit of electrons on the plate.

2. How is the amount of charge stored by a thin conductive plate calculated?

The amount of charge stored by a thin conductive plate can be calculated by multiplying the capacitance (C) of the plate by the potential difference (V) across the plate. This can be represented by the equation Q = CV.

3. What factors affect the amount of charge stored by a thin conductive plate?

The amount of charge stored by a thin conductive plate is affected by the size and shape of the plate, the distance between the plates, and the material of the plate. Additionally, the amount of charge can be influenced by the electric field strength and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates.

4. Can the amount of charge stored by a thin conductive plate be changed?

Yes, the amount of charge stored by a thin conductive plate can be changed by altering the potential difference across the plate or by changing the properties of the material between the plates. Additionally, the amount of charge can be influenced by the addition or removal of electrically charged objects near the plate.

5. What is the significance of knowing the amount of charge stored by a thin conductive plate?

Knowing the amount of charge stored by a thin conductive plate is important in understanding the behavior of capacitors and their applications in electronic circuits. It also helps in predicting the amount of energy that can be stored and released by the capacitor, and in designing and optimizing capacitor systems for specific purposes.