1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amount of charge stored by thin conductive plate

1. Nov 24, 2015 #1
    I have 10mm thick film with dielectric constant of 3. Let’s say surface area of the film is 50 ft2. On the surface of the film I will deposit thin conductive layers with different resistivity. On the first sample of the film I will deposit thin layer with the sheet resistance of 10 ohm/in^2. On the second sample - 100 ohm/in^2 and third sample 1000 ohm/in^2. How does resistivity of deposited layers will affect the amount of charge that this structure can store if I use it in two electrode configuration where this structure is connected to a negative terminal and thin metal plate (with the same surface area) parallel to the structure is connected to positive terminal.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. I wouldn't think the resistivity would affect the amount of charge storage. Q=CV should still hold, IMO. The resistivity would just limit how quickly you can store the charge in the capacitance...

4. Nov 25, 2015 #3
    Thank you.
    Conductive coating that I'm using is doped tin oxide. Undoped tin oxide is a dielectric with K of 9.8. It's probably lower for doped material. In theory I'm adding a layer of dielectric on the top of dielectric film. This should after the capacitance because of series capacitance of two dielectrics K=K1*K2/(K1+K2). Does it make sense?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook