What is the Force Generated by a Rotating Rod on a Square Plate?

• Thread starter Niral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the amount of force or pressure generated by a rotating rod on a square plate with a thickness of 1 inch and length and breadth of 1 inch cannot be determined based on the given information. The details of the collision, design of the machine, and type of sensor used also play a role in determining the result. The relevant measure of the result may not be force, but rather impulse.
Niral
I have a rod which is rotating at 100 rpm I want to understand what amount of force it applies on square plate with thickness of 1 in, and length and breadth 1 in.

Physics news on Phys.org
Niral said:
I have a rod which is rotating at 100 rpm I want to understand what amount of force it applies on square plate with thickness of 1 in, and length and breadth 1 in.
There is no way to know based on the information provided. Even if you knew, what use would that information be?

The amount for force required to stop a rod which is rotating at 100 rpm will depend on the size and shape of the rod, its mass, its mass distribution, the direction in which it is rotating, the distance from its axis where the force is applied, the angle at which it is applied and the length of time for which it is applied. That's assuming a constant force -- which this will not be.

Let me put it this way... I have a square plate which needs to be hit/clicked certain number of times(which is 100 times per minute) to do a desired action say A.. I have this rod which is rotating at 100 rpm.. Action A can occur only when enough force or pressure is applied on the square plate. The way of applying this pressure is from the rotating rod which will have a protuding head which will come in contact with the plate and hit the plate at 100 RPM or 100 times/minute. I want to understand what pressure or force its generating on the square plate.

Niral said:
Let me put it this way... I have a square plate which needs to be hit/clicked certain number of times(which is 100 times per minute) to do a desired action say A.. I have this rod which is rotating at 100 rpm.. Action A can occur only when enough force or pressure is applied on the square plate. The way of applying this pressure is from the rotating rod which will have a protuding head which will come in contact with the plate and hit the plate at 100 RPM or 100 times/minute. I want to understand what pressure or force its generating on the square plate.
Depends on the details of the collision of the plate and the rod.

Likes Niral
Thank you jbriggs444 that's what I am trying to figure out what equation would that be derived from...

The details of the collision will depend on the design of the machine you have that makes the rod collide with the plate. It is not clear that the relevant measure of the result is force. I suspect that impulse is the more relevant quantity. But in addition to not knowing much about the collision, we have not been told anything about the sensor.

1. What is the definition of "Amount of Force Generated"?

The amount of force generated is a measure of the strength or intensity of a force exerted on an object. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) in the metric system.

2. How is the amount of force generated calculated?

The amount of force generated is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its acceleration (F=ma). This is known as Newton's Second Law of Motion.

3. What factors can affect the amount of force generated?

The amount of force generated can be affected by the mass of the object, the acceleration of the object, and the direction of the force applied. Other factors such as friction, air resistance, and surface area can also impact the amount of force generated.

4. How does the amount of force generated relate to the concept of work?

The amount of force generated is directly related to the concept of work, which is defined as the application of force over a distance. In order to do work, a force must be applied to an object and cause it to move a certain distance. The greater the amount of force, the more work is done.

5. Can the amount of force generated be negative?

Yes, the amount of force generated can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the force applied is opposite to the direction of motion. Negative force can also be referred to as a resistance force, and it can decrease the overall amount of force generated in a given situation.