Amount of light needed to capture images

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of determining the amount of light needed for a camera to record in a dark, enclosed space. The participants suggest using calculations based on factors such as CCD read noise and shutter speed, as well as conducting trial and error experiments. They also mention using lux or exposure value as units of measurement and suggest recording sample scenes to estimate the necessary amount of light.
nitro
Hi all,

I'm working in application where a camera needs to see in a dark closed area. Imagine a small box, say 8"x8" and there is a camera trying to record inside. In order to get images, we need some light. The problem is how to determine how much light is needed without being too little light or too much light. The camera will be moving so the right amount of light is crucial

Could someone point me to directions on how to compute the amount of light needed for such application?

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
In theory from the read noise and QE of the CCD, shutter speed, the dynamic range and noise of the ADC, the algorithms in the dynamic gain circuit and the optical design of the lens - together with the spectral characteristics of the light source you can calculate it.

In practice - try it.

Thanks for the reply,

definitely a trial and error will be needed. But some theory is good to spec out a prototype

Does anybody know where to find information about light formation, to be able to at least estimate the amount of light needed?

Thx

What kind of camera? Also, the acceptable level of image quality depends on what the images are being used for..

I'm working with a moving video camera and as you might know if there is not enough light lots of frames will be blurry due to slow shutter speed and the need to get as much light as possible.
It seems that the best way of proceeding is lots of testing and experimenting with different settings. However, i was hoping that someone could point me to resources to be be able to at least roughly estimate the amount of light i would need

if i have some estimate I could buy some lights and see how things work

thanks a lot

If you already have the camera record some scenes that are an acceptable quality and extrapolate from that...

For a trivial example if you need to expose for a second to get a decent image, but the thing you want to record requires 0.1 s framing, you'll need 10 times more light!

1. How much light is needed to capture a clear image?

The amount of light needed to capture a clear image depends on various factors such as the type of camera, the sensitivity of the camera's sensor, and the desired outcome of the image. Generally, more light is needed for low-light situations or when capturing fast-moving subjects to avoid blurry images.

2. Can too much light affect image quality?

Yes, too much light can affect image quality. Excessive light can cause overexposure, resulting in washed-out or completely white images. This can also lead to loss of details and colors in the image. It is important to have a balance of light for optimal image quality.

3. How does the aperture affect the amount of light needed to capture an image?

The aperture is the opening in the lens that controls the amount of light entering the camera. A wider aperture allows more light to enter, while a smaller aperture lets in less light. Therefore, the aperture setting directly affects the amount of light needed to capture a well-exposed image.

4. What is ISO and how does it impact the amount of light needed for images?

ISO is a measure of a camera's sensitivity to light. A higher ISO setting makes the camera more sensitive to light, allowing for images to be captured in low-light situations. However, a higher ISO can also lead to more noise in the image, affecting the overall quality.

5. Is natural or artificial light better for capturing images?

It depends on the desired outcome and the type of subject being photographed. Natural light can provide a more natural look to the image, while artificial light can be manipulated to create specific lighting effects. Both natural and artificial light have their advantages and disadvantages, and the choice ultimately depends on the photographer's preference and the situation.