Amusement Park Ride - Angular Speed

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the angular speed of rotation for cars attached to rotating arms on an amusement park ride. The radius and tension were calculated using the equations for vertical and horizontal forces, leading to a final answer of 1.18 radians/s for the angular velocity. There is still uncertainty about the accuracy of the answer and the individual plans to ask their teacher for clarification.
FAJISTE

Homework Statement

In an amusement park rocket ride, cars are suspended from L = 4.37-m cables attached to rotating arms at a distance of d = 6.09 m from the axis of rotation. The cables swing out at an angle of θ = 53.9° when the ride is operating. What is the angular speed of rotation?

a3cop0.gif

Homework Equations

(mv^2)/r = mg
wr(angular speed) = v

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so first I calculated the total radius which was 6.09 m + (sin53.9)(4.37) and got a radius of 9.62 m. Then, since there is no normal force, the tension is equal to mg, thus making mv^2/r = mg. Masses cancel out and I got v^2/r = g I got a velocity of 9.7145 m/s. Using the angular speed equation : wr = v. For angular speed I got 1.01 deg / sec. Computer says this is wrong, what did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
the tension is equal to mg, thus making mv^2/r = mg
Errors here! You must separate the vertical forces from the horizontal ones.
The tension is partly vertical and partly horizontal, so you'll need sine and cosine.
Write two separate equations for the horizontal and vertical forces.
I expect you will have two unknowns to find with your two equations, though you are probably only interested in one of them.

I only have one try left, and I'm almost positive that I use the velocity of the x component which utilizes the equation : v^2/r = tan53.9(g)

Is that correct?

I got angular speed of 1.18 deg/s which appears to still be wrong...sigh what am I doing wrong now?

v^2/r = tan53.9(g) looks pretty good, though I have no idea how you could get it without separating the vertical and horizontal forces.

It is 1.18 radians/s for the angular velocity.

Okay, I guess I'll have to ask my teach about it because 1.18 radians/s is wrong :(

Thanks for the help though!

1. What is angular speed?

Angular speed, also known as rotational speed, is the measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed axis. It is usually measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm).

2. How is angular speed calculated?

The formula for calculating angular speed is angular distance (in radians) divided by time in seconds. This can also be represented as the change in angular position divided by the change in time.

3. What factors affect the angular speed of an amusement park ride?

The angular speed of an amusement park ride can be affected by the radius of the ride, the mass of the riders, the force applied to the ride, and any friction or resistance present.

4. How does angular speed impact the safety of an amusement park ride?

Angular speed is an important factor in determining the safety of an amusement park ride. If the ride is rotating too quickly, it can cause riders to experience dizziness, nausea, and even injuries. It is important for amusement park rides to be designed and operated within safe angular speed limits to prevent accidents.

5. Can angular speed be controlled on an amusement park ride?

Yes, angular speed can be controlled on an amusement park ride through various mechanisms such as brakes, motors, and levers. These controls are used to regulate the speed and rotation of the ride to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for riders.