Abstract Algebra: Quotienting and the First Isomorphism Theorem

In summary: Am I missing something?In summary, the conversation discusses the subset U(T) of a set S, defined as the set of bijective maps on S whose range is a subset of T. It then poses three questions: 1) If S has n elements and T has m elements, how many elements are there in U(T)? 2) Can a mapping F:U(T) -> Sm be defined such that F(fg)=F(f)F(g) for f,g\inU(T) and F is onto Sm? 3) If m<n, can F ever be 1-1? If so, when? The summary also includes a brief explanation of the attempt at a solution, which involves showing that
AdrianZ

Homework Statement

Let T be a subset of S and consider the subset U(T)={f [itex]\in[/itex] A(S) | f(t)[itex]\in[/itex]T for every t[itex]\in[/itex]T}.
1) If S has n elements and T has m elements, how many elements are there in U(T)?
2) Show that there is a mapping F:U(T) -> Sm such that F(fg)=F(f)F(g) for f,g[itex]\in[/itex]U(T) and F is onto Sm
3) If m<n, can F ever be 1-1? If so, when?

The Attempt at a Solution

1) m!*n! ?

2) I've already shown in the previous problem (Problem 18 in baby Herstein) that if f and g are in U(T), so is their product fg. Now, If I define F as a function that takes an element in U(T) and restricts the domain to only the elements in T and I denote it by F=f[T], then It's obvious that the mapping F=f[t] under composition satisfies F(fg)=F(f)F(g). because F(fg)=(fg)[T]=f[T]og[T]=F(f)F(g). To show that this mapping is surjective, for any element in Sm like h one could define the element f={ f(n)=h(n) for every t in T & f(n)=n otherwise}, It's obvious that F(f)=h, hence, F is onto Sm.

3) No, F is not injective. because If we assume T={1,2,3} and S={1,2,3,4,5,6} and we consider the mapping F:U(T)->S6 and then we define f(1)=2 f(2)=3 f(3)=1 f(4)=4 f(5)=5 and g(1)=2 g(2)=3 g(3)=1 g(4)=5 g(5)=4, then both f and g are mapped to the same element in S6. However, we can define another map that is injective. we define f~g iff F(f)=F(g). we define the equivalence class of f as [f]={g| f~g} and we define the quotient set U(T)/~ as U(T)/~={[f]|f[itex]\in[/itex]U(T)}. We define [f][g]=[fg] and It's easy to show that this multiplication law is well-defined on U(T)/~ and it turns U(T)/~ into a group. then the mapping F': U(T)/~ -> Sm is injective.
I guess We can also reform F in another way. We can form a subgroup of U(T) by choosing only those permutations that permute the elements in T to new elements in T and keep the rest as they are. This is a subgroup of U(T) that I like to denote it by K and It's obvious that composition of permutations is a well-defined operation over it. The mapping F'': K->Sm is injective.

Well, I just want to know whether my proof is correct or not.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you explain your notation first?? That is=

AdrianZ said:

Homework Statement

Let T be a subset of S

What is S??
and consider the subset {f [itex]\in[/itex] A(S) | f(t)[itex]\in[/itex] for every t[itex]\in[/itex]T}.

What is A(S)?? We must have [itex]f(t)\in [/itex] what?

1) If S has n elements and T has m elements, how many elements are there in U(T)?

What is U(T)?

2) Show that there is a mapping F:U(T) -> Sm such that F(fg)=F(f)F(g) for f,g[itex]\in[/itex]U(T) and F is onto Sm

Is Sm the group of permutations on m elements?

micromass said:
Could you explain your notation first?? That is=
What is S??What is A(S)?? We must have [itex]f(t)\in [/itex] what?
What is U(T)?
Is Sm the group of permutations on m elements?

I had made a lot of typos. sorry. I edited my post. and yes, Sm is the group of permutations on m elements. S can be any countable set.

micromass said:
And what is A(S)?

The group of bijective maps on S under composition.

AdrianZ said:

Homework Statement

Let T be a subset of S and consider the subset U(T)={f [itex]\in[/itex] A(S) | f(t)[itex]\in[/itex]T for every t[itex]\in[/itex]T}.
3) If m<n, can F ever be 1-1? If so, when?

The Attempt at a Solution

1) m!*n! ?

This is incorrect. Your m! factor is correct. but I don't see where the n! comes from.

2) I've already shown in the previous problem (Problem 18 in baby Herstein) that if f and g are in U(T), so is their product fg. Now, If I define F as a function that takes an element in U(T) and restricts the domain to only the elements in T and I denote it by F=f[T], then It's obvious that the mapping F=f[t] under composition satisfies F(fg)=F(f)F(g). because F(fg)=(fg)[T]=f[T]og[T]=F(f)F(g). To show that this mapping is surjective, for any element in Sm like h one could define the element f={ f(n)=h(n) for every t in T & f(n)=n otherwise}, It's obvious that F(f)=h, hence, F is onto Sm.

I can see that your idea is correct, but your notations are not. I find it hard to see what you mean with things like F=f[T] or F=f[t].

3) No, F is not injective. because If we assume T={1,2,3} and S={1,2,3,4,5,6} and we consider the mapping F:U(T)->S6

OK, but your codomain is incorrect. It needs to be [itex]S_3[/itex] in this case, no?

Furthermore, you can't just assume T={1,2,3} and S={1,2,3,4,5,6}. You must show it in ALL cases. I think a cardinality argument should be your best bet here.

micromass said:
This is incorrect. Your m! factor is correct. but I don't see where the n! comes from.
Well, I was chatting and listening to music when I was writing this post, that's why It's full of typos :|. I meant m!*(n-m)!. because we got n-m choices for the remaining elements.
I can see that your idea is correct, but your notations are not. I find it hard to see what you mean with things like F=f[T] or F=f[t].
by f[T] I mean that we restrict the domain of f to the elements in its domain that are in T. the same notation as f|T. (I guess most books prefer the later notation).
OK, but your codomain is incorrect. It needs to be [itex]S_3[/itex] in this case, no?
Yes. Typo! :|

Furthermore, you can't just assume T={1,2,3} and S={1,2,3,4,5,6}. You must show it in ALL cases. I think a cardinality argument should be your best bet here.
Yea, the Pigeonhole principle would do the trick. |T|>|Sm|, therefore there is no 1-1 injective function F: T-> Sm. well, if it doesn't work for one Sm, Wouldn't that be a counter-example?

Is everything OK now?

AdrianZ said:
Well, I was chatting and listening to music when I was writing this post, that's why It's full of typos :|. I meant m!*(n-m)!. because we got n-m choices for the remaining elements.

Correct! :smile:

by f[T] I mean that we restrict the domain of f to the elements in its domain that are in T. the same notation as f|T. (I guess most books prefer the later notation).

Hmm, it's the first time I see that notation. But I guess it makes sense.

Yea, the Pigeonhole principle would do the trick. |T|>|Sm|, therefore there is no 1-1 injective function F: T-> Sm. well, if it doesn't work for one Sm, Wouldn't that be a counter-example?

Yes, your example certainly is a counterexample! But they're asking whether the equality ever holds. This requires you to show that it can never be an injection. Just finding a counterexample is not good enough here.

micromass said:
Yes, your example certainly is a counterexample! But they're asking whether the equality ever holds. This requires you to show that it can never be an injection. Just finding a counterexample is not good enough here.

I see. Would it work if we change U(T) in the way I said? I think I've unintentionally used the first isomorphism theorem for this particular example.

AdrianZ said:
I see. Would it work if we change U(T) in the way I said? I think I've unintentionally used the first isomorphism theorem for this particular example.

But your pigeonhole-argument is a good one! Just show that the cardinalities do not agree. In that case, a surjective function can never be injective.

I don't really see what you want to accomplish by changing the U(T).

micromass said:
But your pigeonhole-argument is a good one! Just show that the cardinalities do not agree. In that case, a surjective function can never be injective.

I don't really see what you want to accomplish by changing the U(T).

the cardinalities surely do not agree, because the first one has |T|=m!(n-m)! elements and |Sm| has m! elements. That's not what I asked though.

I just want to know whether my argument about finding a new mapping that is injective is correct or not. because I see a similarity between my argument and the first isomorphism theorem but nowhere I've used the fact that U(T) is normal. So, either it must be false in general or U(T) is a normal subgroup of Sn by chance. Am I right?

What you did there is quotienting out of ker(F). So you indeed did something similar to the first isomorphism theorem.

What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields, without considering specific numbers or equations. It focuses on understanding the fundamental properties and relationships between these structures.

Why is abstract algebra important?

Abstract algebra is important because it provides a powerful framework for understanding and solving problems in various fields of mathematics, including number theory, geometry, and physics. It also has practical applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and computer science.

What are the main topics in abstract algebra?

The main topics in abstract algebra include groups, rings, fields, vector spaces, and modules. Other important topics include group actions, homomorphisms, and isomorphisms.

What is the difference between abstract algebra and algebra?

Algebra is a broad term that encompasses many branches of mathematics, including abstract algebra. Abstract algebra specifically deals with algebraic structures, while algebra in general covers a wider range of topics, such as equations, functions, and transformations.

How can I improve my understanding of abstract algebra?

To improve your understanding of abstract algebra, it is important to practice solving problems and proofs, as well as studying the fundamental concepts and theorems. It can also be helpful to work on problems with others and seek guidance from a mentor or teacher.