An equation with permutations, x^2 = sigma.

In summary, the problem involves determining x from the permutation sigma = (1 2 6 7 5 3 4), with the equation x^2 = sigma. By finding the order of sigma (which is 7), it can be solved by using the fact that sigma^8 = sigma and x = sigma^4.
Reid

Homework Statement

x^2 = sigma.
The permutation sigma = (1 2 6 7 5 3 4), a cycle of length seven.

Determine x!

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried a few times but my attempts are totally wrong. I don't know where to start! :S

I found a similar problem in the textbook. They could, by just lookin at the problem, say that there is no x for that (in the book not the one above) particular type of permutation. How? :S

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if this is the best way, but it definitely works:
First determine what is the order of sigma. This can be used to solve the question. For example: suppose that the order is 3. Then sigma^3 = 1, so sigma^4 = sigma. From this, you can immediately find x.
If the order would be 4, on the other hand, then you would get sigma^4 = 1 so sigma^5 = sigma. The left hand side is not a square of anything, so there is no solution.

I'm not sure if i understood this correct. Let's see, with your reasoning...

I know that sigma^7=1, therefore sigma^8=sigma. Then x=sigma^4. Right?

Yes, that's exactly right. I didn't quite comprehend what CompuChip meant by "suppose that the order is 3" since the order was clearly 7! I'm glad you did.

I tried not to give away the answer completely. Didn't work :smile:

1. What are permutations?

Permutations are the different ways in which a set of objects can be arranged or ordered. For example, the permutations of the letters "ABC" would be ABC, ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, and CBA.

2. How do you calculate permutations?

The number of permutations can be calculated using the formula n! / (n-r)! where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being arranged. In the equation x^2 = sigma, the number of permutations would be x!, as there is no specified value for r.

3. What is the significance of x^2 in the equation?

In this equation, x^2 represents the total number of permutations for a given set of objects. It is raised to the power of 2 because the objects are being arranged in a specific order, rather than being selected without regard to order.

4. What does sigma stand for in the equation?

Sigma (Σ) is the symbol for summation, which means that all the permutations of the set are being added together. In this equation, it represents the total number of permutations for a given set of objects.

5. Can this equation be used for any set of objects?

Yes, this equation can be used for any set of objects as long as the objects are being arranged in a specific order. However, it is important to note that the value of x may vary depending on the number of objects in the set.