1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An equation with permutations, x^2 = sigma.

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

x^2 = sigma.
    The permutation sigma = (1 2 6 7 5 3 4), a cycle of length seven.

Determine x!

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried a few times but my attempts are totally wrong. I don't know where to start! :S

I found a similar problem in the textbook. They could, by just lookin at the problem, say that there is no x for that (in the book not the one above) particular type of permutation. How? :S

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know if this is the best way, but it definitely works:
    First determine what is the order of sigma. This can be used to solve the question. For example: suppose that the order is 3. Then sigma^3 = 1, so sigma^4 = sigma. From this, you can immediately find x.
    If the order would be 4, on the other hand, then you would get sigma^4 = 1 so sigma^5 = sigma. The left hand side is not a square of anything, so there is no solution.

4. Oct 26, 2008 #3
    I'm not sure if i understood this correct. Lets see, with your reasoning...

I know that sigma^7=1, therefore sigma^8=sigma. Then x=sigma^4. Right?

5. Oct 26, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that's exactly right. I didn't quite comprehend what CompuChip meant by "suppose that the order is 3" since the order was clearly 7! I'm glad you did.

6. Oct 26, 2008 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I tried not to give away the answer completely. Didn't work :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?