An equivalent resistor problem

In summary, the person is trying to ask someone for help with a homework problem, but they are not understanding how the rules work on the forum. The person then says they are new to the forum and have made a mistake.
judas_priest

Homework Statement

Hey, I've always had problems with circuits and finding out equivalent resistors, and identifyuing which are in parallel, and which are not

Homework Equations

I need help with the circuit attached. Can someone clear this problem with circuits once and for all.
PS: I have read a lot of books. From the best professors.
Saying read a book won't help

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 360
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to find another shape for the resistors, where the symmetry is easier to see. Hint: The uppermost two resistors have a similar role in the modified graph.

There is no general rule to find those simplifications everywhere - you just have to try something, and see if it works. You can always solve it with Kirchhoff's laws, but that is not necessary here.

Hey, thanks for the response

I've spent an hour on it, and have one no where.
It'd be great if someone could solve it for me.

judas_priest said:
I've spent an hour on it, and have one no where.
It'd be great if someone could solve it for me.

Nope, no one would do that for you here.

Mark the nodes with the alphabets and try to make a simplified circuit.

Pranav-Arora said:
Nope, no one would do that for you here.

Mark the nodes with the alphabets and try to make a simplified circuit.

@Pranav Arora

It's people like you who make me hate forums.
With all due respect, Either answer, or don't.
Don't be a smartass.

judas_priest said:
@Pranav Arora

It's people like you who make me hate forums.
With all due respect, Either answer, or don't.
Don't be a smartass.

As you wish. No one else would help you until you show your attempts.

Pranav-Arora said:
As you wish. No one else would help you until you show your attempts.

What part of 'I tried almost for an hour' don't you understand.

judas_priest said:
What part of 'I tried almost for an hour' don't you understand.

When you registered for Physics Forums you agreed to abide by the forum rules, including the requirement to show some work on your own attempt in tangible form. It is strictly against forum rules to directly answer homework questions for you. Hints, yes. Guidance, yes. Checking your work, yes. Pointing out errors, yes. Doing your homework for you, no.

You might want to review these guidelines for asking homework questions.

gneill said:
When you registered for Physics Forums you agreed to abide by the forum rules, including the requirement to show some work on your own attempt in tangible form. It is strictly against forum rules to directly answer homework questions for you. Hints, yes. Guidance, yes. Checking your work, yes. Pointing out errors, yes. Doing your homework for you, no.

You might want to review these guidelines for asking homework questions.

k

In that one hour, you should have produced a lot of things. Feel free to show them. It helps us to see where the problem is.

You won't learn much if we solve the problem for you. There are tons of solved problems in the internet, if you want to look how those problems can be solved in general. The idea of homework is that you solve it to learn how to do it.

Hint..

Take the "middle resistor" and turn it horizontal.

Okay, I get my mistake.
I'm completely new to this, and I had no idea how it worked.
My apologies to all.

What is an equivalent resistor problem?

An equivalent resistor problem is a type of problem in which a circuit or network of resistors can be simplified into a single equivalent resistor, while maintaining the same overall resistance. This allows for easier analysis and calculation of the circuit's behavior.

How do I solve an equivalent resistor problem?

To solve an equivalent resistor problem, you must first identify the resistors in the circuit and determine which are in series (connected end-to-end) and which are in parallel (connected side-by-side). Then, you can use formulas to calculate the equivalent resistances for each set of series and parallel resistors, and combine them to find the overall equivalent resistance.

What is the purpose of solving an equivalent resistor problem?

The purpose of solving an equivalent resistor problem is to simplify a complex circuit into a single equivalent resistor, which makes it easier to analyze and calculate the circuit's behavior. This can also help in designing and troubleshooting circuits.

Can an equivalent resistor problem be solved using Ohm's law?

Yes, Ohm's law (V=IR) can be used to solve an equivalent resistor problem, as long as the voltage and current values are known. However, for more complex circuits, it may be necessary to use other formulas and techniques, such as the equations for series and parallel resistors.

Are there any limitations to solving an equivalent resistor problem?

One limitation of solving an equivalent resistor problem is that it assumes all resistors are ideal and have the same resistance value. In real-life circuits, resistors may have varying resistance values and other factors, such as temperature, can affect their behavior. Additionally, this method may not work for very complex circuits that cannot be simplified into series and parallel combinations.