An identity of Ramanujan's

• Thread starter GoutamTmv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the conversation discusses an identity discovered by S Ramanujan involving an infinite product in an integral. The first question asks whether the product is infinite or finite, and the second question wonders if the identity can be derived through a specific substitution or if there are other mathematical concepts involved. The conversation ends with a comment about Ramanujan's mathematical abilities and a question about finding the partial fractional decomposition of the infinite product.
GoutamTmv
Hello everyone,

I came across this identity while browsing Wikipedia, and I decided to try to prove it for myself. ( It was discovered by S Ramanujan)

[tex]\int_0^\infty \cfrac{1+{x}^2/({b+1})^2}{1+{x}^2/({a})^2} \times\cfrac{1+{x}^2/({b+2})^2}{1+{x}^2/({a+1})^2}\times\cdots\;\;dx = \frac{\sqrt \pi}{2} \times\frac{\Gamma(a+\frac{1}{2})\Gamma(b+1)\Gamma(b-a+\frac{1}{2})}{\Gamma(a)\Gamma(b+\frac{1}{2}) \Gamma(b-a+1)}[/tex]

I would like to ask two questions regarding this:

1) Is the product in the integral on the left hand side an infinite product or a finite one?
2) I personally think I can derive this by finding the right substitution. Would I be wrong? Are there more mathematics in play behind this, aside from calculus?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure it is infinite. Good luck, ram was a beast

Thanks. Is there, then, an easy way to find the partial fractional decomposition of the infinite product?

1. Who is Ramanujan?

Ramanujan is an Indian mathematician who lived in the early 20th century. He is known for his contributions to number theory, mathematical analysis, and infinite series. His work has had a significant impact on modern mathematics.

2. What is "An identity of Ramanujan's"?

"An identity of Ramanujan's" refers to a specific mathematical identity or equation that was discovered by Ramanujan. It is known for its elegance, complexity, and significance in the field of mathematics.

3. Why is Ramanujan's identity important?

Ramanujan's identity has been studied and analyzed by mathematicians for its deep connections to various areas of mathematics such as number theory, modular forms, and special functions. It has also led to further discoveries and advancements in these fields.

4. How did Ramanujan come up with this identity?

Ramanujan had a unique and intuitive approach to mathematics, which allowed him to discover complex and beautiful identities. He often attributed his discoveries to divine inspiration and claimed that the goddess Namagiri would reveal mathematical formulas to him in his dreams.

5. Can you explain Ramanujan's identity in simple terms?

Ramanujan's identity is a mathematical equation that relates infinite series, trigonometric functions, and the number pi. It is a complex and elegant expression that has been studied and admired by mathematicians for its beauty and significance.