An initial to general state problem (QM Help)

In summary, the conversation discusses a 3 level system starting at time t = 0 in a specific state and its Hamiltonian. The eigenvalues and eigenvectors are calculated and used to determine the state of the system at any time t > 0. The final state is found by normalizing the eigenvectors and adding them together with a time-dependent factor.
Brad_Ad23
1. A 3 level system starts at time t = 0 in the state

[itex]\left|\psi_0\right> = \frac{1}{\sqrt2} \left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\1\\0\end{array}\right)[/itex]

The Hamiltonian is [itex]H = 3\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1&0&0\\0&1&1\\0&1&1\end{array}\right)[/itex]

If [itex]\hbar = 1[/itex]
find the state [itex]\left|\psi_t\right>[/itex] of the system for any time t > 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It has been quite a few years since I've done this sort of thing. My approach, perhaps naively, was first to find the eigenvalues for H and then attempt to construct eigenvectors.
I wound up with [itex]E_n = 0, 3, 6[/itex] for eigenvalues and eigenvectors [un-normalized?] of

[itex]
\left(\begin{array}{c}0\\1\\-1\end{array}\right) , \left(\begin{array}{c}1\\0\\0\end{array}\right) , \left(\begin{array}{c}0\\1\\1\end{array}\right)[/itex]

I am a bit suspicious of the 2nd one, and at any rate I can't seem to remember what happens next (assuming this is the proper approach). I think the eigenvectors should be normalized and then the initial state written as a linear combo of the eigenvectors, with the finale being to add on the basic time-dependence factor of [itex]e^{-i E_n t}[/itex] since h-bar is set to 1 here. Am I on the right approach? If I am or if I am not further help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, working on it a bit more I think I figured it out (amazing what taking a break for dinner may do).

So I have the unnormalized eigenvectors. If I normalize them I should wind up with:

[itex]
\left|s_1\right> = \frac{1}{\sqrt2}\left(\begin{array}{c}0\\1\\-1\end{array}\right)[/itex]
[itex]
\left|s_2\right> = \left(\begin{array}{c}1\\0\\0\end{array}\right)[/itex]
[itex]
\left|s_3\right> = \frac{1}{\sqrt2}\left(\begin{array}{c}0\\1\\1\end{array}\right)[/itex]

So [itex]\left|\psi_0\right> = \frac{1}{\sqrt2}\left|s_2\right> + \frac{1}{2}\left(\left|s_1\right> + \left|s_3\right>\right) = \frac{1}{\sqrt2}\left(\begin{array}{c}1\\1\\0\end{array}\right)
[/itex]

And then to get the general one for some t > 0, I should just put the appropriate exp(iEnt) in front of each eigenvector yes?

Brad_Ad23 said:
Ok, working on it a bit more I think I figured it out (amazing what taking a break for dinner may do).

So I have the unnormalized eigenvectors. If I normalize them I should wind up with:

[itex]
\left|s_1\right> = \frac{1}{\sqrt2}\left(\begin{array}{c}0\\1\\-1\end{array}\right)[/itex]
[itex]
\left|s_2\right> = \left(\begin{array}{c}1\\0\\0\end{array}\right)[/itex]
[itex]
\left|s_3\right> = \frac{1}{\sqrt2}\left(\begin{array}{c}0\\1\\1\end{array}\right)[/itex]

So [itex]\left|\psi_0\right> = \frac{1}{\sqrt2}\left|s_2\right> + \frac{1}{2}\left(\left|s_1\right> + \left|s_3\right>\right) = \frac{1}{\sqrt2}\left(\begin{array}{c}1\\1\\0\end{array}\right)
[/itex]

And then to get the general one for some t > 0, I should just put the appropriate exp(iEnt) in front of each eigenvector yes?

looks perfect to me:cool:

1. What is an initial to general state problem in quantum mechanics?

An initial to general state problem in quantum mechanics refers to the process of taking a system from a known initial state and predicting its state at a later time. This is done by using mathematical equations and principles of quantum mechanics to describe the evolution of the system over time.

2. What are the key concepts involved in solving an initial to general state problem?

The key concepts involved in solving an initial to general state problem include the wave function, Hamiltonian operator, and the time-dependent Schrödinger equation. The wave function represents the state of the system, the Hamiltonian operator describes the total energy of the system, and the time-dependent Schrödinger equation describes how the wave function changes over time.

3. How is an initial to general state problem different from other problems in quantum mechanics?

An initial to general state problem is different from other problems in quantum mechanics because it involves predicting the state of a system at a later time, rather than just describing the current state of the system. This requires using time-dependent equations and considering the evolution of the system over time.

4. What types of systems can be solved using an initial to general state problem?

An initial to general state problem can be used to solve for the state of any quantum system, including single particles, multiple particles, and complex systems such as molecules or atoms. However, the accuracy of the predictions may vary depending on the complexity of the system and the assumptions made in the calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to solving an initial to general state problem in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are limitations to solving an initial to general state problem in quantum mechanics. These include the inherent probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, the complexity of the systems being studied, and the need for certain assumptions to be made in the calculations. Additionally, some systems may be too complex to accurately predict their state using current mathematical models and techniques.