Solving Equations with Logarithms: Where Did the Missing Root Go?

• Thread starter Robokapp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, someone explained that the behavior of the function can be explained by looking at the graph and understanding the properties of the function. However, one way to solve the equation produces a different answer than the other way.
Robokapp
can anyone explain the behaviour of this function? i looked at the graph and everything, but if i solve it one way i get a different answer than if i solve it another way.

Ln[(x+1)^2]=2

one way to solve it (What i did)

e^{Ln[(x+1)^2]}=e^2

(x+1)^2=e^2

(x+1)^2-e^2=0

(x+1-e)(x+1+e)=0

x=e-1 and x=-e-1

another way, what my math teacher did

Ln[(x+1)^2]=2

2Ln(x+1)=2

Ln(x+1)=1

X+1=e^1

x=e-1

as you can see somehow one of his roots, the -e-1 is just...gone. i checked the math 1 million times. this is puzzling me for a few months now...where did the root go? i never asked him becasue he's knida cranky...but can you help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solutions certainly satisfy the original equation. Your cranky teacher might just grin if you ask him to substitute your solutions into the equation!

The square root happens in in the very first step, going from ln(x^2) to 2*ln(x).

oh...but it's a logaritmic property to do that. if Log(a^b) you can write b*Log(a), isn't it? i understand now that the square root only spits out the positive and that's why one root dissapears...but my real question is how can i tell that?

let's say I'm solving 10 exercises and #6 is something like this. I'm not going to stare at its graph becasue it looks so simple there's no need. I'm going to apply the properties in whatever order they come trough my mind and work my way trough algerbration. i would never have noticed this if he didn't solve it out of nowhere...so is there a way to tell that one way is better than other? because mathematically they both look correct as to applying rules...

i'm a little confused.

Yup, logab = b loga
But you should note that:
[tex]\log x ^ 2 = \log (-x) ^ 2[/tex]
So in this step:
Ln[(x+1)^2]=2
2Ln(x+1)=2 is wrong, after you solve this equation, you have the solution x such that x + 1 >= 0. But what if x + 1 < 0? x + 1 < 0 => (x + 1)2 > 0, so ln((x + 1)2) is still defined.
You can wrote it as:
[tex]\ln((x + 1) ^ 2) = 2 \Leftrightarrow \ln(|x + 1| ^ 2) = 2 \Leftrightarrow 2\ln|x + 1| = 2 \Leftrightarrow \ln|x + 1| = 1[/tex].
And just continue solving it, it'll give you 2 solutions.
Viet Dao,

Your teacher may have been thinking that, since x=-e-1 is a negative number, it can't be a solution. Of course, it is not x that the ln is applied to but (x+1)2= (-e-1+1)2= (-e)2= e2 which is positive.

HallsofIvy said:
Your teacher may have been thinking that, since x=-e-1 is a negative number, it can't be a solution. Of course, it is not x that the ln is applied to but (x+1)2= (-e-1+1)2= (-e)2= e2 which is positive.

that and the explanation above you ,with the absolute value made perfect sense. if we are to stay in the Real Axis the value plugged inside a Log or Ln has to be greater than zero.

i understand it now. i hope however you see why i had confusions...the exercise looks like a pathetic algebra 2...but it is actually let's say "controversial" becasue it takes thinknig rather than mecanically applying identities.

personally i sometimes (especially when i work in polar equations) use very very simple methods, sometimes better than what the book shows, but in other cases i complicate things beyond imagination. sometimes in geometry instead of looking for right angles so i can use pytagora i'd use Heron and the law of cosines...that's how bad i can be!

1. What makes an equation interesting?

An equation can be considered interesting if it has a unique solution, involves complex numbers, or has real-world applications. It can also be interesting if it has a simple and elegant solution or if it is a famous or well-known equation.

2. How do you solve an interesting equation?

The solution to an interesting equation can be found through various mathematical techniques such as algebraic manipulations, graphing, numerical methods, or calculus. The method of solving depends on the specific equation and its complexity.

3. Can an interesting equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, an interesting equation can have multiple solutions. This can happen if the equation is nonlinear or has multiple variables. In some cases, there may be an infinite number of solutions.

4. What are some examples of interesting equations?

Some examples of interesting equations include the Pythagorean Theorem, Euler's identity, and the Navier-Stokes equations. Other interesting equations can also be found in physics, chemistry, and engineering.

5. How are interesting equations used in real life?

Interesting equations have numerous applications in fields such as science, engineering, economics, and finance. They can be used to model and solve problems, make predictions, and understand complex systems. For example, the famous equation E=mc^2 is used in nuclear physics to calculate the energy released in a nuclear reaction.