Is Peter's Dislike for the Groom Supported by FOL Rules and GCWA?

• Thread starter Agaton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary: So far I have found that the disjunction elimination rule allows us to infer a disjunction from a conjunction. However, I am not sure what my next-to-last step would need to be. Can you help me with that?In summary, the conversation discusses translating sentences into First-Order Logic (FOL) using specific predicates, and then poses three questions to test the knowledge base under Generalized Closed World Assumption (GCWA). The questions aim to prove that Peter either likes the groom or did not attend the ceremony, whether the claim that Peter does not like the groom is entailed by the knowledge base under GCWA, and how adding a new sentence can lead to the conclusion that Peter does not like the groom. To answer these
Agaton
We have the following sentences which I translated them to FOL by using the language:

Att(x) for "x attended the ceremony"
Likes(x,y) for "x likes y"
Rel(x,y) for "x is a relative of y"
Ab(x) for "x is an abnormal relative"

(a) Only all the normal relatives attended the wedding ceremony.
a) ∀x Att(x) ------ > ¬ Ab(x)

(b) Everybody who attended the ceremony was either a relative of the groom or a relative of the bride.
b) ∀x∀y∀z Att(x) -------> Rel (X, groom) \/ Rel (x, bride)

(c) Groom’s relatives normally like the groom.
c) ∀x Rel (x, Groom) /\ ¬ Ab(x) ------ > Like (x,groom)

(d) Bride’s relatives normally like the bride.
d) ∀z Rel (z, Groom) ¬ Ab(z) ------ > Like (z,groom)

(e) Peter does not like bride.
e) ¬ Likes (Peter, bride)

I suppose my translation is correct.

Now the are three questions:

(1) How can I show, by using FOL rules, that Peter likes the groom or he did not attend the ceremony.

(2) Check if the claim, that Peter does not like groom, is entailed by the knowledge base under GCWA.

(3) Show, that if the sentence “All the relatives of the groom are abnormal” was added to the knowledge base, it would follow, under the GCWA, that Peter does not like the groom.

Any idea? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try starting with your conclusion and working backwards? What rules allow you to infer a disjunction? Or put it into another form and see what your next-to-last step would need to be.

Thanks honestrsewater,

I am still reading about it...

What is default logic?

Default logic is a non-monotonic logic system that allows for reasoning about incomplete knowledge and contradictory information. It is used to make assumptions or default rules when there is missing information or when there are exceptions to the usual rules.

How is default logic different from classical logic?

Default logic differs from classical logic in that it allows for reasoning with incomplete information and allows for the possibility of revising or retracting assumptions. In classical logic, all statements are either true or false, and once a statement is proven true, it remains true.

What are the advantages of using default logic?

Default logic allows for more flexible and realistic reasoning in situations where there may be incomplete or inconsistent information. It also allows for revision of assumptions, which can be useful in dealing with changing or evolving situations.

What are some real-world applications of default logic?

Default logic has been used in fields such as artificial intelligence, decision making, and natural language processing. It has also been applied to various problems in areas such as law, medicine, and engineering. For example, it can be used to model legal reasoning and medical diagnosis.

What are some limitations of default logic?

One limitation of default logic is that it does not provide a way to prioritize or rank different assumptions. It also does not provide a way to deal with conflicting defaults. Additionally, default logic can be computationally expensive and may not scale well to larger knowledge bases.