An operator acting on the translated ground state of an SHO

In summary: Gaussian and applies a to it...I am getting that a should evaluate to the eigenfunction itself, but it appears to evaluate to zero...In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the annihilation operator "a" on a translated Gaussian, specifically the ground state eigenfunction e^-((x/xNot)^2). The expected result is that "a" acting on the translated function should yield a constant multiplied by the original eigenfunction. However, the actual result obtained includes a second term that is not consistent with this expectation. The conversation includes attempts to identify and correct the error.
Chip
I am trying to perform the operation a on a translated Gaussian, ie. the ground state of the simple harmonic oscillator (for which the ground state eigenfunction is e^-((x/xNot)^2). First, I was able to confirm just fine that a acting on phi-ground(x) = 0. But when translating by xNot, so a acting on phi-ground(x-xNot), I am supposed to get a acting on phi-ground(x-xNot) = C*phi-ground(x-xNOT). But I am getting a acting on phi-ground(x-xNot) = + C1 * phi-ground(x-xNot) + C2 * x * phi-ground(x-xNot) ---so I appear to be doing something wrong, as I am getting the second (linearly independent) term, which is the discrepancy between what I was told was the answer. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In case it helps, the problem is described in this video starting at 6:15 into the video through about 8:00 (so only a few minutes to watch that part).

Chip said:
I am trying to perform the operation a on a translated Gaussian, ie. the ground state of the simple harmonic oscillator (for which the ground state eigenfunction is e^-((x/xNot)^2). First, I was able to confirm just fine that a acting on phi-ground(x) = 0. But when translating by xNot, so a acting on phi-ground(x-xNot), I am supposed to get a acting on phi-ground(x-xNot) = C*phi-ground(x-xNOT). But I am getting a acting on phi-ground(x-xNot) = + C1 * phi-ground(x-xNot) + C2 * x * phi-ground(x-xNot) ---so I appear to be doing something wrong, as I am getting the second (linearly independent) term, which is the discrepancy between what I was told was the answer. Can anyone help? Thanks!
"a" = annihilation operator btw

Chip said:
C1 * phi-ground(x-xNot) + C2 * x * phi-ground(x-xNot)
The second term, was that obtained by acting the term proportional to ##\hat{x}## in ##a## to ##\phi_0(x-x_0)##? Which means the first term is obtained from the action of ##\hat{p}## onto this state? If yes, you should check again your answer for the first term. There should be a resulting term which will cancel the second term (there should be two terms proportional to ##x## but with opposite sign).

Sorry, yes, I was in error...I rechecked the work and did get one term only, and it was proportional to x (actually x - xNot in this case), so it was actually: C1 (x-xNot) * phi-ground(x-xNot), where C1 = some other constant * (1/xNot -1)...but according to that video the answer is just C1 phi-ground(x-xNot), without the (x-xNOT) factor, I'm assuming?

Have you checked whether or not the term proportional to ##x\phi_0(x-x_0)## from the application of ##\hat{p}## cancels the other term proportional ##x\phi_0(x-x_0)## resulting from the application of ##\hat{x}##?

It does as you say for the unshifted phi-ground, but for the shifted one it yields the x*phi-ground coefficient when I evaluate as you suggest, ie. on the left side, to yield this term on the ride side of the equation. Either I have an error or am misunderstanding something. The annihilation operator on the unshifted ground state yields zero, but is supposed to yield the eigenfunction itself for the shifted ground state. Instead, I get that it yields x times the eigenfunction.

We have ##a = \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar}} \left( \hat{x} + \frac{i}{m\omega}\hat{p} \right)## and ##\phi_0(x-x_0) = \left(\frac{m\omega}{\pi\hbar}\right)^{1/4} \exp \left( -\frac{m\omega (x-x_0)^2}{2\hbar} \right)##. What do you get after calculating ##\hat{p}\phi_0(x-x_0)##?

blue_leaf77 said:
We have ##a = \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar}} \left( \hat{x} + \frac{i}{m\omega}\hat{p} \right)## and ##\phi_0(x-x_0) = \left(\frac{m\omega}{\pi\hbar}\right)^{1/4} \exp \left( -\frac{m\omega (x-x_0)^2}{2\hbar} \right)##. What do you get after calculating ##\hat{p}\phi_0(x-x_0)##?
Thank you for your response. actually in the exponential of the eigenfunction you actually should have 2* hbar in the numerator and m * omega in the denominator--so you have the reciprocal of the coefficient...as a check the exponential should be dimensionless, hence the xNot in the denominator. Also, just to clarify, xNot = sqrt(m*omega/(2*hbar))

So them for p acting on phi-ground(x - xNot) I get - 2 * i * hbar* ((x-xNot)/xNot^2)*phi-ground(x-xNot) --- and then multiplying by I/pNot, I get --- now I see my previous error-- - (x-xNot)/pNot, which exactly cancels my first term obtained by the x operator/xNot...so now it evaluates to 0.

So obviously I have made a few errors along the way, but now I get that the translated Gaussian eigenfunction also evaluates to zero? Alan Adams said it should evaluate to a constant coefficient of the eigenfunction itself?

Chip said:
Thank you for your response. actually in the exponential of the eigenfunction you actually should have 2* hbar in the numerator and m * omega in the denominator--so you have the reciprocal of the coefficient...as a check the exponential should be dimensionless, hence the xNot in the denominator.
I don't think so, you can check the dimensionality in my expression and it should fulfill the requirement that the term in the exponent should be dimensionless.
Chip said:
hence the xNot in the denominator. Also, just to clarify, xNot = sqrt(m*omega/(2*hbar))
##x_0## is to have a dimension of length, but if it's defined as "xNot = sqrt(m*omega/(2*hbar))", it will be an inverse of a length.
Chip said:
So them for p acting on phi-ground(x - xNot) I get - 2 * i * hbar* ((x-xNot)/xNot^2)*phi-ground(x-xNot) --- and then multiplying by I/pNot, I get --- now I see my previous error-- - (x-xNot)/pNot, which exactly cancels my first term obtained by the x operator/xNot...so now it evaluates to 0.
It will help identify your error if you can write the complete expression of your translated ground state wavefunction, preferably in Latex format.

blue_leaf77 said:
I don't think so, you can check the dimensionality in my expression and it should fulfill the requirement that the term in the exponent should be dimensionless.

##x_0## is to have a dimension of length, but if it's defined as "xNot = sqrt(m*omega/(2*hbar))", it will be an inverse of a length.

It will help identify your error if you can write the complete expression of your translated ground state wavefunction, preferably in Latex format.
Sorry, yes, I need to learn LaTex, but in this case I am now getting zero...just as you seemed to be stating above...whether or not I shift...so it would be great if you could check out this video starting at 6:15 into the video through about 8:00 (I know it is a little pesky but keep clicking a few times and you should be able to queue correctly), as I think I may just have misunderstood something there.

Shortly stated, I get that the annihilation operator acting on the ground state eigenfunction yields zero whether or not x is shifted.

blue_leaf77 said:
The second term, was that obtained by acting the term proportional to ##\hat{x}## in ##a## to ##\phi_0(x-x_0)##? Which means the first term is obtained from the action of ##\hat{p}## onto this state? If yes, you should check again your answer for the first term. There should be a resulting term which will cancel the second term (there should be two terms proportional to ##x## but with opposite sign).
Now that I have corrected my errors, this is precisely what I am getting. The question is: why then is Alan Adams getting something else?? Please watch the portion of the video I referenced above and let me know what your think! Thanks in advance!

OK, I believe I figured this all out. I had inserted for the position operator, x - xNot, which means I shifted the POTENTIAL along with the parameter of the eigenfunction, and of course annihilated to zero; if you shift everything over you get the same thing! I, instead, was NOT supposed to shift the potential, so the x operator is just x. Then I simply get a 1, which means a constant times the eigenfunction...just like the prof got! And indeed that must be correct, because the term containing the x operator is the term that represents the SHO potential! The term containing the momentum operator is describing the kinetic energy component, which ultimately depends on the potential!

Chip said:
I had inserted for the position operator, x - xNot
Such mistake could have been identified earlier if you had written what you have done in your own effort in your post. Regarding this, this type of question is better posted under Homework section where the poster will be required to show his/her initial attempts in solving the problem, and an identification of errors can be easily traced back.

Related to An operator acting on the translated ground state of an SHO

1. What is an operator in the context of a translated ground state of an SHO?

An operator is a mathematical symbol or function that represents a physical quantity or operation in quantum mechanics. In the context of a translated ground state of an SHO, an operator acts on the wave function of the ground state to produce a new wave function that represents a translated version of the original state.

2. How does an operator affect the translated ground state of an SHO?

An operator affects the translated ground state of an SHO by shifting the position of the particle in the system. This shift can be in any direction and by any amount, depending on the specific operator being applied.

3. What are some common operators used in studying the translated ground state of an SHO?

Some common operators used in studying the translated ground state of an SHO include the position operator, momentum operator, and Hamiltonian operator. These operators act on the wave function to produce new states that represent changes in position, momentum, or energy of the particle.

4. How do operators in the translated ground state of an SHO relate to the uncertainty principle?

The operators in the translated ground state of an SHO are related to the uncertainty principle through their commutation relationships. The uncertainty principle states that certain physical properties, such as position and momentum, cannot be simultaneously known with absolute precision. The commutation relationships between operators reflect this uncertainty by showing that the order in which operators are applied can affect the outcome.

5. Can operators be used to find the energy levels of a translated ground state of an SHO?

Yes, operators can be used to find the energy levels of a translated ground state of an SHO. The Hamiltonian operator, in particular, can be used to find the energy levels of a system by acting on the wave function and producing a set of eigenvalues that correspond to the possible energy states of the system.