Analysing System of Equations: 2kx2 + kx1 = mx2 & 2kx1 + kx2 + kXocos(wt) = mx1

In summary, a system of equations is a collection of equations that are solved simultaneously to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations. There are several methods for solving a system of equations, such as substitution, elimination, and graphing. The purpose of analysing a system of equations is to find the values of the variables and understand their relationship, which can be useful for making predictions or solving real-world problems. In this system of equations, the variables are x1 and x2, representing unknown quantities, and k, m, w, and t, which are constants with known values. The cosine function, cos(wt), introduces a periodic component to the system of equations, meaning that the values of x1 and x
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
All below
Relevant Equations
All below
1594617262371.png

Well, i think the important here is the system, what you think about?:

-2kx2 + kx1 = mx2''
-2kx1 + kx2 + kXocos(wt) = mx1''

After this, is just solve, i found:

x2 = (k*xo*cos(wt)*(4k/m - 2w²))/(2m*(k/m - w²)*(3k/m - w²))

The cool is that if we put w equal the two normal frequency x2 tends to infinity (so resonance in this case)

about x1 i will solve later, but before i want to know if at least the system is right

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your ODEs.

Likes LCSphysicist

1. What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations that are related to each other and have a common set of variables. The solution to a system of equations is a set of values for the variables that satisfies all of the equations simultaneously.

2. How do you solve a system of equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. In this particular case, the equations can be solved using substitution, where one equation is solved for one variable and then substituted into the other equation to solve for the remaining variable.

3. What is the significance of the coefficient k in the equations?

The coefficient k represents the constant of proportionality, which determines the relationship between the variables in the equations. It is an important factor in understanding the behavior of the system of equations.

4. How does the presence of the cosine function affect the system of equations?

The cosine function, represented by cos(wt), introduces a periodic oscillation to the equations. This means that the solutions to the equations will also be periodic, with a frequency determined by the value of w. It is important to consider this factor when analysing the behavior of the system.

5. Can this system of equations be solved analytically or numerically?

Yes, this system of equations can be solved both analytically and numerically. Analytical solutions involve using mathematical techniques to find exact solutions, while numerical solutions involve using algorithms to approximate solutions. The choice of method will depend on the complexity of the equations and the desired level of accuracy.