Is My Reasoning Correct for Determining Compactness?

• Thread starter hartigan83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the statements discussed are about the compactness of sets and whether certain conditions guarantee compactness. The first statement is true, as every finite set is compact (e.g. [0,3]). The second statement is false, as there are counterexamples such as [0,3]. The third statement is false, as there are sets that have a max and min but are not compact (e.g. (2,3)). The fourth statement is false, as there are counterexamples such as [1,5]. The fifth statement is true, as any accumulation point of a compact set must also be an element of the set. The sixth statement is false, as there are unbounded sets that have accumulation points (e
hartigan83
I have been asked to determine if the following statements are ture or false...I have attepmted to answer each question using my understanding of the definitions of compact (a set is compact iff every open cover of S contains a finite subcover), the statement of the Heine-borel Theorem( A subset S of R is compact iff S is closed and bounded), and the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem( If a bounded sub set S of R contains infinitely many points, then there exists at least one point in R that is an accumulation point of S). Please tell me if I am using reasoning that is not correct for any of them...Thanks

Every finite set is compact.
True. ex [0,3]

No infinite set is compact.
False, but I cannot think of a counter example...
I was thinking that a set could be bounded and still contain infinitley many points, but am not sure if it would be closed.

If a set is compact then it has a max and a min.
False it must also be non empty.

If a set has a max and a min then it is compact.
False, (2,3) has a max and a min but is not ompact.

Some undounded sets are compact.
False due to the hiene-borel theorem

If S is a compact subset of R then there is at least one point in R that is an accumulation point of S
Flase, it need not be compact, just bounded and contain infinitely many points.

If S is compact and x is an accumulation point of S then x is an element of S.
True, Since S is closed it contains all of its accumulation points.

If S is unbounded, then S has at least one accumulation point.
False, S must be bounded, and contain infinitely many points by Bolozano -weierstrass.

Physics news on Phys.org
Every finite set is compact.
True. ex [0,3]
Agreed, but why?

[0,3] is not an example: [0,3] is an infinite set.

No infinite set is compact.
False, but I cannot think of a counter example...
I was thinking that a set could be bounded and still contain infinitley many points, but am not sure if it would be closed.
Agreed. You already stated a counter-example.

Incidentally... if you're given any set S, there's an easy way to find a closed set that contains S...

If a set is compact then it has a max and a min.
False it must also be non empty.
Agree that it's false. You just need to state that the empty set is a counterexample.

That said, if you want to claim that any nonempty compact set has a max and a min, you need a reason!

If a set has a max and a min then it is compact.
False, (2,3) has a max and a min but is not ompact.
Agreed that the answer is false.

(2,3) is not a counter example, though: it has neither a max nor a min.

Some undounded sets are compact.
False due to the hiene-borel theorem
Agreed.

If S is a compact subset of R then there is at least one point in R that is an accumulation point of S
Flase, it need not be compact, just bounded and contain infinitely many points.
Answer is false, but
(1) your reasoning is wrong
(2) You don't need to reason, just produce a counter example.

The problem with your reasoning is that you are arguing against the converse! You sound like you're trying to disprove:

"If there is at least one point in R that is an accumulation point of S, then S is a compact subset of R".

If S is compact and x is an accumulation point of S then x is an element of S.
True, Since S is closed it contains all of its accumulation points.
Agreed.

If S is unbounded, then S has at least one accumulation point.
False, S must be bounded, and contain infinitely many points by Bolozano -weierstrass.
Agree that it's false. Your reasoning is wrong, though. You've made the same mistake as you did two questions ago. The B-W theorem says:

"If S is bounded and infinite, then S has an accumulation point"

In particular, it does not say:

"If S has an accumulation point, then S is bounded and infinite".

(In fact, it's easy to find unbounded sets that have accumulation points)

Hurkyl said:
Agreed, but why?

Hurkyl said:
Incidentally... if you're given any set S, there's an easy way to find a closed set that contains S...

How?
Hurkyl said:
Agree that it's false. You just need to state that the empty set is a counterexample.

That said, if you want to claim that any nonempty compact set has a max and a min, you need a reason!

I have a lemma in my book that states this.
Hurkyl said:
Agreed that the answer is false.

(2,3) is not a counter example, though: it has neither a max nor a min.

I am not sure what to look at for a counter example. I was thinking the closed interval [2,3] but then that is compact so it does not work

Hurkyl said:
Answer is false,...
[1,5] is compact and the set of accumulation points is [1,5] and 1 is an element of R

Hurkyl said:
Agree that it's false. Your reasoning is wrong, though. You've made the same mistake as you did two questions ago. The B-W theorem says:

"If S is bounded and infinite, then S has an accumulation point"

In particular, it does not say:

"If S has an accumulation point, then S is bounded and infinite".

(In fact, it's easy to find unbounded sets that have accumulation points)

Are open intervals bounded?

Hurkyl said:
Agreed, but why?

What if I specified that it was the set of Natural numbers?

the set of natural numbers is infinite... a set like {1, 2, 3} is finite. Or perhaps just {1}

Related to Is My Reasoning Correct for Determining Compactness?

1. Is compact analysis more efficient than non-compact analysis?

Compact analysis typically involves reducing a large set of data into a smaller, more manageable form. This can make it more efficient in terms of storage and processing time compared to non-compact analysis.

2. What are the advantages of compact analysis?

Compact analysis allows for easier data manipulation and interpretation due to the smaller data set. It also reduces the storage space and processing time required, making it more efficient for large data sets.

3. Are there any drawbacks to using compact analysis?

One potential drawback of compact analysis is that it may result in loss of information. By reducing the data set, some important details may be lost, leading to less accurate results. Additionally, the process of compacting data can be time-consuming and complex.

4. How does compact analysis differ from regular analysis?

Compact analysis involves reducing a large data set into a smaller, more manageable form, while regular analysis typically involves working with the full data set. Compact analysis is often used for large data sets, while regular analysis can be used for smaller or more specific data sets.

5. When is it appropriate to use compact analysis?

Compact analysis is useful when dealing with large data sets that may be difficult to manage or interpret in their original form. It is also commonly used when storage space and processing time are limited, making it a more efficient option.