Proving the Claim for g(x) with continuous function f(x)

In summary, the problem is to prove that for any natural number n, there exists a number x such that f(x)=f(x+1/n). To do this, we consider the function g(x)=f(x)-f(x+1/n) and use the intermediate value theorem to show that for any value of g(0), there must exist some other point x where g(x) is negative. This allows us to choose x=0 as a solution for any value of n.
lepton123

Homework Statement

Suppose f is continuous on [0,1] and f(0)=f(1). Let n be a natural number. Prove that there is some number x, such that f(x)=f(x+1/n).

Homework Equations

The hints says to consider g(x)=f(x)-f(x+1/n)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to consider the function g(x), but I haven't gotten anything useful from it. When I've tried various values of n, like 1/2, 1/3...I've noticed that there are repeating terms and I can manipulate the terms a bit to get like g(0)=-g(1/2) for n=1/2 and the like, but I am not sure where to go with this

Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with x =0 and n=1?

dirk_mec1 said:
What's wrong with x =0 and n=1?
You don't get to choose ##n##. It is chosen for you. In other words, you have to show there is a solution for ANY ##n##.

If ##g(0) = 0## then you can simply take ##x = 0##. If ##g(0) > 0##, then I claim there must be some other point ##x## such that ##g(x) < 0##, and then you can apply the intermediate value theorem. Can you prove this claim? Hint: consider ##g(0) + g(1/n) + \ldots + g((n-1)/n)##.

1. What is an Analysis Function Question?

An Analysis Function Question is a type of question that requires a person to break down and examine a problem or situation in order to identify and explain its key components or functions. It is commonly used in scientific research and problem-solving to gain a deeper understanding of complex systems and phenomena.

2. How is an Analysis Function Question different from other types of questions?

An Analysis Function Question differs from other types of questions in that it focuses on the functions and relationships of various components within a system, rather than simply gathering information or seeking a specific answer. It requires critical thinking and the ability to break down a problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

3. What are some examples of Analysis Function Questions?

Some examples of Analysis Function Questions might include "What are the key components of this chemical reaction and how do they interact?", "How does the structure of a cell contribute to its overall function?", or "What factors influence the behavior of this population over time?" These questions all require the person to analyze and explain the functions and relationships within a complex system or situation.

4. Why are Analysis Function Questions important in science?

Analysis Function Questions are important in science because they allow researchers to gain a deeper understanding of complex systems and phenomena. By breaking down and examining the functions and relationships within a system, scientists can make connections and identify patterns that may not be apparent at first glance. This can lead to new discoveries and advancements in scientific knowledge.

5. How can I improve my skills in answering Analysis Function Questions?

To improve your skills in answering Analysis Function Questions, it is important to practice critical thinking and problem-solving techniques. This can involve breaking down problems into smaller parts, making connections between different components, and using evidence to support your analysis. It can also be helpful to discuss and collaborate with others to gain different perspectives and approaches to problem-solving.