Analysis of Structures: Finding Reactions & Forces in Trusses

In summary, when finding forces in members of trusses, you can use a free body diagram to determine the reactions at the pins. However, for finding the forces in specific members, you may need to make an initial guess as to whether they are compressive or tensile. This can be based on analyzing the loads placed on the structure or simply guessing and checking. If your initial assumption is incorrect, it will result in a negative force, which is acceptable. This is similar to how current flows in electric circuits, where you make a guess and sometimes it comes out negative.
drewdiddy
I have a question on setting up a problem to find the reactions and forces in members of trusses.

So initially I find the reactions at the pins using a free body diagram, I get that. However, when I need to find the forces of the particular members am I supposed to take an initial guess as to whether or not the forces are compressive or tensile and then based on whether or not I get a negative for my result proves the accuracy of initial assumption?

Or do I analyze the loads being placed on the structure and should it tell me from observation what direction the forces are going?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi drewdiddy! :smile:
drewdiddy said:
…am I supposed to take an initial guess as to whether or not the forces are compressive or tensile and then based on whether or not I get a negative for my result proves the accuracy of initial assumption?

Or do I analyze the loads being placed on the structure and should it tell me from observation what direction the forces are going?

Presumably you're giving the forces names like F1 F2 F3 etc ? …

in that case, yes you have to make a guess as to which direction the force is (and mark it on your diagram) …

if it turns out to be wrong, that doesn't matter, since, as you say, it'll come out negative.

(incidentally, the same thing happens in electric circuits … you just guess which way the current is flowing, and sometimes it comes out negative! :wink:)

I understand your concern about finding the correct assumptions for the forces in truss members. In order to accurately determine the forces in truss members, it is important to consider both the initial assumptions and the loads being placed on the structure.

Firstly, it is important to have an initial guess for the forces in the members. This can be based on the geometry and symmetry of the truss, as well as any known external forces acting on the structure. However, this initial guess should not be solely relied upon for determining the forces.

Secondly, it is crucial to analyze the loads being placed on the structure. This includes both external forces and internal forces from adjacent members. By considering the direction and magnitude of these loads, you can make more accurate assumptions for the forces in the truss members.

In addition, it is important to keep in mind the material properties of the truss members, as this can also affect the direction of the forces. For example, if a member is made of a material that is more prone to compression, it is likely that the force in that member will be compressive.

In summary, to accurately determine the forces in truss members, it is important to consider both the initial assumptions and the loads being placed on the structure. By carefully analyzing these factors, you can make more informed decisions about the direction and magnitude of the forces in the truss members. I hope this helps with your analysis of truss structures.

1. What is the purpose of analyzing structures and finding reactions and forces in trusses?

The purpose of this analysis is to determine how a structure will behave under different loads and forces. This allows engineers to design structures that can safely support the intended weight and resist external forces such as wind and earthquakes.

2. What is a truss and how does it differ from other types of structures?

A truss is a type of structure that is made up of interconnected, straight members. These members are arranged in a triangular pattern, which allows for the distribution of weight and forces evenly throughout the structure. Trusses are different from other structures, such as beams and arches, because they rely on the strength of the individual members rather than the overall shape of the structure.

3. What are the types of reactions and forces that can be found in trusses?

The types of reactions and forces that can be found in trusses include support reactions, tension forces, and compression forces. Support reactions occur at the points where the truss is connected to its supports, and they help to keep the truss in equilibrium. Tension forces pull on the members, while compression forces push on them.

4. How is the method of joints used to find reactions and forces in trusses?

The method of joints is a common technique used to analyze trusses. It involves analyzing the forces acting on each joint of the truss, starting from a known support reaction and working through the truss until all reactions and forces are determined. This method is based on the principle of static equilibrium, which states that the forces acting on an object must be balanced in order for it to remain stationary.

5. What are some real-world applications of analyzing structures and finding reactions and forces in trusses?

This type of analysis is essential in the design and construction of various structures, such as bridges, roofs, and towers. It is also used in the maintenance and repair of existing structures to ensure their safety and stability. In addition, understanding the reactions and forces in trusses can be useful in other fields, such as aerospace engineering and biomechanics.