Analysis - solutions to differential equations

In summary, the problem asks to prove that for a function f:R->R that is twice differentiable and satisfies f''(x) + f(x) = 0, f(0)=0 and f'(0)=0, it follows that f'(x) = f(x) = 0 for all x. The solution involves using the "Identity Theorem" and the initial conditions to show that the derivative of a related function g is constant, and then using this to prove the desired result.
Kate2010

Homework Statement

Suppose that f:R->R is twice differentiable and that f''(x) + f(x) = 0, f(0)=0 and f'(0)=0
Prove that f'(x) = f(x) = 0 for all x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve this using methods from calulus, using an auxillary equation and the boundary conditions. However, I am unsure how to go about it as a piece of pure maths. In examples in my notes I have needed to use the 'Identity Theorem', a corollary of the Mean Value Theorem, stating if f: (a,b) -> R is differentiable and satisfies f'(t) = 0 for all t in (a,b) then f is constant on (a,b). However, I am unsure whether this is the correct method in this case, and if it is, how to use it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the derivative of the function [itex]g = (f')^2 + f^2,[/itex] apply the "Identity Theorem", and use the initial conditions.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense.

The next part of the question is a more general version: If g is twice differentiable and satisfies h''(x) + h(x) = 0 prove that h(x) = Acosx +Bsinx
Using your advice, I can show h'(x)2+h(x)2 = constant
I see that this looks a bit like Pythagoras but am not sure how I would prove that it involves sin and cos.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is often used to model physical phenomena and is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are various types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). ODEs involve a single independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. SDEs involve stochastic or random processes.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some methods include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. In some cases, numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods may be used to approximate solutions.

4. What are initial value problems and boundary value problems in differential equations?

An initial value problem (IVP) is a type of differential equation that involves finding a solution that satisfies an equation and a specified initial condition. A boundary value problem (BVP) involves finding a solution that satisfies an equation and specified boundary conditions.

5. How are differential equations used in real-world applications?

Differential equations are used in many real-world applications, such as modeling the spread of diseases, predicting weather patterns, and analyzing stock market trends. They are also used in engineering to design and optimize systems, such as in the field of control theory.