1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Analytic functions

1. Jun 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let g(z) be an analytic function. I have to show that g'(z) is also analytic, using only the CR eqns. I am given that the 2nd partials are continuous

2. Relevant equations
    let f(x,y)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y)
    CR: du/dx=dv/dy and du/dy=-dv/dx
    continuous 2nd partials: d/dx(du/dy)=d/dy(du/dx) and d/dx(dv/dy)=d/dy(dv/dx)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am confused as to how to express the derivative df/dz. would f'=du/dx+du/dy+idv/dx+idv/dy?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think you want df/dz. If a function satisfies the CR equations and has continuous partials, what can you say about it?

4. Jun 3, 2010 #3
    I have to solve this problem using only calculus. I can't use any theorems like using Taylor series. Maybe I can say that it is harmonic?

5. Jun 4, 2010 #4
    nvm- got it! f'(z)=du/dx+idv/dx. Taking these and the real and imaginary parts, we can get the CR eqns for f' using the CR eqns for f and the fact that the mixed partials are equal.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook