Analytic Geometry: Lines Problem

In summary, the coordinates of the vertex B can be found by determining the line that must contain B based on the given information about the lengths of the altitudes, and then using the point-slope formula to find the coordinates. Alternatively, the coordinates can be found by setting up an equation for the area of the triangle and solving for x, resulting in two possible locations for B.
Yankel
In a triangle ABC: A(-2,7) and C(7,-5).

The length of the altitude of AC is 5, and the length of the altitude of BC is the square root of 45. I wish to find the vertex B, given that it is below the line AC.

I need your help, I have no idea how to approach this.

Thank you in advance.

I have started by calculating that AC is -(4/3)x+(13/3)

that's more or less all I have done.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think I would first use the information that the altitude from $\overline{AC}$ is 5 to determine a line that must contain $B$. We find the slope of $\overline{AC}$ is:

\(\displaystyle \frac{7+5}{-2-7}=-\frac{4}{3}\)

This line must contain a point $\left(x_1,y_1\right)$ whose slope with $A$ is \(\displaystyle \frac{3}{4}\) and whose distance from $A$ is 5. So, we may write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{7-y_1}{-2-x_1}=\frac{3}{4}\implies 7-y_1=-\frac{3}{4}\left(2+x_1\right)\)

\(\displaystyle \left(2+x_1\right)^2+\left(7-y_1\right)^2=25\)

\(\displaystyle \left(2+x_1\right)^2+\frac{9}{16}\left(2+x_1\right)^2=25\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{25}{16}\left(2+x_1\right)^2=25\)

\(\displaystyle \left(2+x_1\right)^2=16\)

\(\displaystyle 2+x_1=\pm4\)

\(\displaystyle x_1=-2\pm4\)

Since $B$ is said to lie below $\overline{AC}$, we take the solution:

\(\displaystyle x_1=-6\implies y_1=4\)

And so now armed with the slope and a point on the line which must contain $B$, using the point-slope formula, we find this line to be:

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{4}{3}(x+6)+4=-\frac{4}{3}x-4=-\frac{4}{3}(x+3)\)

And so we may now label the coordinates of point $B$ as:

\(\displaystyle \left(x_B,-\frac{4}{3}\left(x_B+3\right)\right)\)

To continue, you need to find the $x_B$, such that the perpendicular distance from $A$ to the line through $B$ and $C$ is $\sqrt{45}$. (Thinking)

Thank you for the assistance.

There is something wrong, or that I do not understand in your solution.

View attachment 6513

I agree that the slope of BG is 3/4 like you said. But why is the distance between G and A is 5 ? The distance between B and G is 5. I am slightly confused. The line AC is y=(-4/3)+(13/3). G is on this line and the distance from G to B is 5.

Attachments

• plot.JPG
    plot.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 64
What I am saying is that $B$ must lie on the red line:

\begin{tikzpicture}[xscale=0.5,yscale=0.5]
\usetikzlibrary{shapes,positioning,intersections,quotes}
\def\x{3};
\draw[<->] (-10.3,0) -- (10.3,0) node
{$x$};
\draw[<->] (0,-10.3) -- (0,10.3) node[above] {$y$};
\draw[domain=4.4:-10.1, variable=\x, red, ultra thick] plot ({\x}, {-(4/3)*(\x+3)}) node[above] {$y=-\dfrac{4}{3}(x+3)$};
\node[circle,draw=blue, fill=blue, inner sep=0pt,minimum size=5pt] (b) at (-2,7) {};
\node[above=1pt of {(-2,7)}, blue, outer sep=2pt,fill=none] {$A(-2,7)$};
\node[circle,draw=blue, fill=blue, inner sep=0pt,minimum size=5pt] (b) at (7,-5) {};
\node[below=1pt of {(7,-5)}, blue, outer sep=2pt,fill=none] {$C(7,-5)$};
\end{tikzpicture}​

Perhaps a simpler way to determine the coordinates of point $B$ is to observe the that area $A$ of the triangle must be:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}bh=\frac{1}{2}\overline{AC}\cdot5=\frac{5}{2}\sqrt{9^2+12^2}=\frac{75}{2}\)

We may also write:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}bh=\frac{1}{2}\overline{BC}\cdot\sqrt{45}=\frac{\sqrt{45}}{2}\sqrt{\left(7-x_B\right)^2+\left(\frac{4}{3}\left(x_B+3\right)-5\right)^2}\)

This implies:

\(\displaystyle \left(7-x_B\right)^2+\left(\frac{4}{3}\left(x_B+3\right)-5\right)^2=125\)

Solving this, we get:

\(\displaystyle x_B\in\{-3,9\}\)

And so this gives us two possible locations for point $B$:

\(\displaystyle B_1(-3,0)\)

\(\displaystyle B_2(9,-16)\)

\begin{tikzpicture}[xscale=0.375,yscale=0.375]
\usetikzlibrary{shapes,positioning,intersections,quotes}
\def\x{3};
\draw[<->] (-20.3,0) -- (20.3,0) node
{$x$};
\draw[<->] (0,-20.3) -- (0,20.3) node[above] {$y$};
\node[circle,draw=blue, fill=blue, inner sep=0pt,minimum size=5pt] (b) at (-2,7) {};
\node[left=1pt of {(-2,7)}, blue, outer sep=2pt,fill=none] {$A(-2,7)$};
\node[circle,draw=blue, fill=blue, inner sep=0pt,minimum size=5pt] (b) at (7,-5) {};
\node[right=1pt of {(7,-5)}, blue, outer sep=2pt,fill=none] {$C(7,-5)$};
\node[circle,draw=black!30!green, fill=black!30!green, inner sep=0pt,minimum size=5pt] (b) at (-3,0) {};
\node[above left=1pt of {(-3,0)}, black!30!green, outer sep=2pt,fill=none] {$B_1(-3,0)$};
\node[circle,draw=red, fill=red, inner sep=0pt,minimum size=5pt] (b) at (9,-16) {};
\node[right=1pt of {(9,-16)}, red, outer sep=2pt,fill=none] {$B_2(9,-16)$};
\draw[-,blue] (-2,7) -- (7,-5);
\draw[-,black!30!green] (-2,7) -- (-3,0);
\draw[-,black!30!green] (7,-5) -- (-3,0);
\draw[-,red] (-2,7) -- (9,-16);
\draw[-,red] (7,-5) -- (9,-16);
\end{tikzpicture}​

This is simpler. I like your new idea, thanks !

Related to Analytic Geometry: Lines Problem

1. What is Analytic Geometry?

Analytic Geometry is a branch of mathematics that combines algebra and geometry to study geometric shapes and their properties using a coordinate system.

2. What are the basic elements of Analytic Geometry?

The basic elements of Analytic Geometry are points, lines, and planes. These can be represented using coordinates and equations to describe their position and relationships.

3. How do you find the equation of a line in Analytic Geometry?

The equation of a line in Analytic Geometry can be found using the point-slope form, slope-intercept form, or two-point form. These forms represent the relationship between the coordinates of points on the line and can be used to graph and analyze the line.

4. How do you determine if two lines are parallel or perpendicular in Analytic Geometry?

In Analytic Geometry, two lines are parallel if they have the same slope and never intersect. Two lines are perpendicular if their slopes are negative reciprocals of each other, meaning they form a 90-degree angle when they intersect.

5. What are some real-world applications of Analytic Geometry?

Analytic Geometry is used in many fields, including engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze the movement of objects, design structures and machines, and create visual representations of mathematical data.