Analytic mechanics in polar coordinates

In summary, the mass follows a path of a cardioid with a given speed. To find its period, an integral can be done on polar coordinates using the infinitesimal arc length. The total arc-length can be found by integrating the infinitesimal arc length. If the speed is constant, then the time required to travel a distance dl can be used to calculate the period.
chingcx

Homework Statement

A mass follows the path of a cardioid r=1+sinφ with given speed, what is its period?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempt to do an integral on polar coordinates to find the distance covered by the mass first.
The integral I derived is
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \sqrt{r^{2}+(\frac{dr}{d\varphi})^2}d\varphi[/tex]
A mistake here? Or there are other methods to find the time?
Any help is appreciated.

UPDATE: I figure out the integral, but it is zero (ok, I know it's correct ya), but certainly not something I want.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chingcx said:

Homework Statement

A mass follows the path of a cardioid r=1+sinφ with given speed, what is its period?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempt to do an integral on polar coordinates to find the distance covered by the mass first.
The integral I derived is
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \sqrt{r^{2}+(\frac{dr}{d\varphi})^2}d\varphi[/tex]
A mistake here? Or there are other methods to find the time?
Any help is appreciated.

UPDATE: I figure out the integral, but it is zero (ok, I know it's correct ya), but certainly not something I want.

The infinitesimal arc length in polar coordinates [itex]dl[/itex] is what you integrated over in your expression. ie,

[tex] dl= \sqrt{r^2+\left(\frac{dr}{d\theta}\right)^2}d\theta [/tex]

If you integrate this, it gives you the total arc-length. If the speed is constant, what is the time required to travel a distance dl? From this, you can get the period.

Hint: Remember that

[tex]\left(\sin\frac{\theta}{2} + \cos\frac{\theta}{2}\right)^2 = 1+\sin{\theta}[/tex]

1. What is analytic mechanics in polar coordinates?

Analytic mechanics in polar coordinates is a branch of classical mechanics that involves the study of the motion of particles and systems using the polar coordinate system. It combines principles from calculus and physics to describe the motion of objects in terms of their position, velocity, and acceleration in polar coordinates.

2. What is the advantage of using polar coordinates in analytic mechanics?

One of the main advantages of using polar coordinates in analytic mechanics is its ability to describe circular or rotational motion easily. Since polar coordinates use an angle and a distance from the origin, it is well-suited for analyzing systems with circular or rotational components, such as planets orbiting around a sun or a pendulum swinging back and forth.

3. How is the Lagrangian formulation used in analytic mechanics with polar coordinates?

The Lagrangian formulation in analytic mechanics with polar coordinates is used to describe the motion of a system by using a single function, called the Lagrangian, which is a combination of the kinetic and potential energies of the system. It allows for a more efficient and elegant way of solving for the equations of motion compared to using Newton's laws of motion.

4. Can analytic mechanics in polar coordinates be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, analytic mechanics in polar coordinates can be applied to real-world situations. It has been used to study the motion of planets, satellites, and other celestial bodies, as well as the behavior of pendulums, springs, and other mechanical systems. It is also used in engineering and physics to analyze the motion of objects in circular or rotational systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using polar coordinates in analytic mechanics?

One limitation of using polar coordinates in analytic mechanics is that it is not suitable for describing motion in non-circular or non-rotational systems. In these cases, it may be necessary to use other coordinate systems, such as Cartesian coordinates, to accurately describe the motion of the system. Additionally, the equations of motion in polar coordinates can be more complex and difficult to solve compared to other coordinate systems.