Analytical mechanics: 2D isotropic harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving a two-dimensional isotropic oscillator with specific initial conditions. The approach discussed involves using constants of motion and separating the equations of motion for x and y. The solution will involve sines and cosines, and the conversation also addresses a potential issue with obtaining an imaginary answer.
swindhspectrum
I'm stuck on this problem:
The initial conditions for a two-dimensional isotropic oscillator are as follows: t=0, x=A, y=4A, v=0i +3wAj (vector) where w is the angular frequency. Find x and y as functions of t.

Where do I even begin with this problem. I take it A = constant. Can anyone make this less intimadating?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
By isotropic I assume you mean the force depends only on the distance from the origin, ie, F=kr, directed towards the origin.

You probably want to start by considering the constants of motion. You know U=1/2kr^2, and that the total energy E=U+KE is conserved. Also, since the system has rotational symmetry, angular momentum is conserved, ie, r X v (the cross product of the position and velocity vectors) is a constant, equal to its initial value for all time. With a little work, and using polar coordinates, you can use these equations to turn the problem into an ordinary differential equation involving r.

EDIT: Actually, I've gone through the work, and that DE is a pain to solve. It's not impossible, but there's probably an easier way. If I think of one I'll let you know.

Last edited:
Right, so you might want to try the above approach, as it's similar to the methods you'll need to use on more difficult problems. But in this case, you can just separate the x and y equations of motion:

[tex]m\frac{d^2 \vec r}{dt^2} = -k \vec r[/tex]

this gives:

[tex]\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2} = -k x[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{d^2 y}{dt^2} = -k y[/tex]

These can be solved seperately. But note again that this method is not very general, and in most problems you'll need to do something like what I suggested in the last post.

thanks, ill try this out

i don't know if you (statusX) tried to solve these...
i am getting an imaginary answer for x (x=iwt). i haven't solved for y(t) yet. Isn't the imaginary answer somehow equivalent to a trig function? Does anyone know?
thanks

The solution to both equations will involve sines and cosines. Have you solved these types of equations before? I assume you meant to say you got something like x=e^iwt, which can be converted to sines and cosines using the http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EulerFormula.html" . You are solving a 2nd order ODE, so you should get two constants, which can be solved for by plugging in values for x and dx/dt at t=0.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of an isotropic harmonic oscillator in 2D?

An isotropic harmonic oscillator in 2D is a physical system that oscillates around a stable equilibrium position in two dimensions, with the force acting on it being directly proportional to its displacement from the equilibrium point. This system is symmetric in all directions and follows the same laws of motion regardless of its orientation.

2. How is the motion of a 2D isotropic harmonic oscillator described mathematically?

The motion of a 2D isotropic harmonic oscillator is described by the equation of motion for a simple harmonic oscillator in two dimensions: x(t) = A*cos(ωt + φ) and y(t) = B*cos(ωt + φ), where A and B are the amplitudes of the oscillations in the x and y directions, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the initial phase.

3. What are the key properties of an isotropic harmonic oscillator?

The key properties of an isotropic harmonic oscillator include its uniformity in all directions, its stable equilibrium position, and its periodic oscillations with a constant frequency. It also exhibits simple harmonic motion, where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium, and the motion is sinusoidal.

4. How does an isotropic harmonic oscillator differ from a simple harmonic oscillator?

An isotropic harmonic oscillator differs from a simple harmonic oscillator in that it allows for motion in two dimensions, while a simple harmonic oscillator only allows for motion in one dimension. Additionally, the restoring force for an isotropic harmonic oscillator is isotropic, meaning it is the same in all directions, while the restoring force for a simple harmonic oscillator is unidirectional.

5. What are some real-life examples of 2D isotropic harmonic oscillators?

Some real-life examples of 2D isotropic harmonic oscillators include a mass attached to two springs oscillating in two directions, a pendulum swinging in two dimensions, and a diatomic molecule vibrating in two dimensions. These systems can also be found in engineering applications, such as vibrating structures and electronic circuits.